Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV just lost the ability to play content via home share.

I was playing a movie via home share from my iMac. When it ended I tried to play another movie Apple TV entered an endless loop trying to conect. Havent been able to connect via Apple TV(2) since. Anyone else having problems like this. About a week ago there was a similar problem where Apple TV could not authorize. Is this yet another problem with Apple's servers?

BTW this is not a new installation and there have been no hardware or software changes.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Early 2011 iMac 27 inch INTEL 12 GB

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 6:29 PM

68 replies

Oct 28, 2011 6:51 PM in response to Thomas Merriewether1

I am encountering the exact same thing. ATV2 cannot connect to the Internet or Home Sharing. I didn't even get a chance to d/l the newest update. When I go to do a "Restore" I get the following message:

Apple TV can't download the latest update right now. Try again later.

That implies to me something is wrong on Apple's end. It's Friday night and I wanted to relax...why can't they do this on Monday night?!

I should also add the ATV is connected to the Wi-Fi network, but is not registering a Router or DNS address. It DOES register the IP, Subnet Mask, Wi-FI address, and signal strength. My iPod Touch has no problem at all (the little one is watching Netflix on it right now).

In the post-Steve Jobs world, Apple is gonna have to really raise the bar - especially on simple things like updates for up-and-coming devices.

Oct 28, 2011 7:04 PM in response to Thomas Merriewether1

Same issue, some troubleshooting we have completed:

1) rebooted everything - AppleTV, Router, Xserve running Itunes, Home Server running media shares.

2) Updated Apple TV

3) Reset Apple TV

4) Confirmed home sharing works on both iPads

5) Confirmed music Plays

6) Confirmed content streams, ie trailers for movies from store

7) Music Plays

Even with all steps taken, we are still dealing with the spinning wheel of death. Air Play works from our iPads, but this is a less than ideal solution. Also to note, ours is hard wired as oppsed to wifi. I is a sad panda.

Oct 28, 2011 7:08 PM in response to Thomas Merriewether1

Is this one of those things you have to wait out until Apple decides to fix it? I have had my Apple TV for less than a year, and it seems like there is nothing but constant problems unless you just want to listen to music on your TV. Just paid $7 for a TV show and now I can't watch it al all on the TV. I've tried all the recommendations above. Guess I have to wait and see if it gets fixed *eventually*.

Oct 28, 2011 7:18 PM in response to Thomas Merriewether1

Same problem as well, just started today when I got home. TV Shows and Movies from the library show up, but when I try to play them I just get the spinning wheel and nothing more.

I tried the following to get it working again:

* reboot ATV2 (running 4.2.2.)

* reset ATV

* restore ATV (unfortunately it connected to the web and grabbed 4.2.2. as the restore, so I'm stuck with it)

* change network password

* restart router

* restart itunes

* restart computer running itunes (and connected to ATV via home sharing)

I can watch trailers and play music, but that seems to be all. I didn't try photos or anything else beyond that, and movies & tv. This is kind of incredible. I've had zero trouble with Apple TV since I got it last year, and to fail so hard for apparent reason is astonishing.

Oct 28, 2011 7:19 PM in response to Stephen Banks

I just did another round of troubleshooting and some further searching. I am seeing a lot of reported issues right now all tied to the update. Our ATV2 will atleast run youtube, airplay from out ipads and trailers. But our media shares are a no go.

I suspect this is a wait and see what happens thing, but none of my regular tech blogs have anything yet.

Apple TV just lost the ability to play content via home share.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.