Previous 1 2 Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2015 8:36 AM by MKcurcio Branched to a new discussion.
seanbperiod Level 1 Level 1
expertise.notebooks
Notebooks

Earlier today, I was playing a game, and I noticed that the sound wasn't working.. but occasionally it would come in for a few seconds.

I can't play music through the speaker, but regular ringing/alert tones work.

The volume button is mission when I double tap the home button, and when I click on Airplay icon, I see my Apple TV devices, and "Dock Connector"

I hooked my phone up to a dock connecter last weekend, and it seems that it is stuck in that mode.. I've tried rebooting, and resyncing but I can't get it off..

Seems to be a bug of sorts-

Is there any remedy for this without having to restore?

Thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 5
  • Lawrence Finch Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Try cleaning the dock connector. A dry clean toothbrush usually works. Also get a magnifying glass and inspect the connector carefully to make sure you got all the dirt out and that none of the pins are bent. Occasionally there are hardware problems, not everything is software

• lcpiercer Level 1 Level 1

Its true not all problems are hardware. But ios is easy enough to fix errors on its worth eliminating software before blaming hardware in most cases. If you restore to factory settings you can backup first then restore the backup after. Conveniently putting everything back on to new firmware. But it is always good to inspect for obvious physical damage

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

This is such a common problem, however, and it is almost always fixed by cleaning the connector. There are selveral long threads about it.

• INFMIS Level 1 Level 1

i just fixed my 4s doing the following undo the back off your phone while its on remove the dock connector cable turn the phone off then turn on play music then plug the connector back in

• supermooi Level 1 Level 1

Just had the connector trick done in the store. Unfortunatly. didn't work for me.

Just went back to dock-connector. Can't get this fixed.

• Havacowse Level 1 Level 1

I've had same problem on a couple of occasions and both times I have used the hair dryer for a good few minutes into the dock of the phone. Think condensation must get in some how.

• iOSgaga Level 1 Level 1

Had the same problem too and it worked for me. 

Take note, reseting back to factory settings does not help either.

Give this a try,

Go find a speaker with(or) dock station and plug in an out again, the phone should be back to normal. It worked for me.

Hope this helps! Cheers and Happy New Year!

<Edited By Host>

• jesuslovesall Level 1 Level 1

Hair dryer and connecting to dock station in and out worked for me!!  Thanks

• ThaWoodpecka Level 1 Level 1

Same issue and solution here.

BTW, I got another phone that could never be brought back to the undock mode. I have to get a new phone under warranty the first time.

• Minnie79 Level 1 Level 1

I just blew into the part where it connects to the dock. Problem went away.

• nogdejxibtdly Level 1 Level 1

This just happened to me. I tried a lot of different techniques I read about on here (blowing, compressed air, cotton swab), but nothing worked for more than a few seconds. What finally got it working for me was this: I took a stiff-bristled makeup brush (cleaned) moistened with rubbing alcohol, and I rubbed it around inside the charging port for a while. I did this on music mode since the volume bar would appear when it was back to normal and it was easy to tell if it was triggering back into normal mode. It went back and forth between the dock mode and normal for a while, so I took some compressed air and sprayed it in the port and it finally started working again.

• ramonfromsherman oaks Level 1 Level 1

My iPhone 4s running 5.0.1 reset itself by docking it, playing a song and then undocking it.  The settings returned to "iPhone" instead of "Docked Connector" and now it's fine.  I do dock my phone into an alarm clock every night, so I'm thinking it got stuck in this mode this morning, or the connector may have been dirty.  In any case, docking and undocking it fix my problem.

It may not work for everyone, but it did for me.

Hope it works for you.

• Ryan Haverstock Level 1 Level 1

Also rebooted with no improvement. I plugged in a headset, then disconnected and I got speakers back on phone.

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Probably some dirt in your headphone jack.

Previous 1 2 Next