Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo emails randomly disappearing in iPad

I have a problem with Yahoo emails randomly disappearing when I use my iPad. I found an old discussion regarding this issue here, but don't seem to find a fix or any recent update: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1059223?start=0&tstart=0

Basically, I started noticing about a month ago that I couldn't find anymore certain emails I had filed in folders. At first I thought it was a fluke, but now it has happened 4-5 times (that I know of). I am 100% positive that I did not delete the emails by accident. As far as I can remember, I am pretty sure that all of the mails that are missing are ones that I filed into folders using the iPad (but not all emails filed into folders from the iPad are missing, only random ones). Who knows how many other mails are missing that I didn't know of or how long this has been going on.

For the moment, I guess I will stop filing mail using the iPad (only read mail on iPad, and then file later when I am at my PC). But does anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 1:48 AM

38 replies

Dec 31, 2011 11:17 AM in response to anitafromwellington

The issue of random disappearing mails has just happened me. Today I was using my Ipad 2 to look through mail that I had stored in a folder other than my inbox. I'm using Classic Yahoo Mail and I originally created the folder on my laptop. The e-mails in my folder (which contained online vouchers and hotel booking confirmations) have all but disappeared, for some strange reason four mails in the folder remain. The mails removed from my folder are nowhere to be found in my trash or anywhere else. I have contacted Yahoo online help however all they had to offer was that their engineers are aware of the issue and working to resolve. I just hope that my mails can be retrieved but based on the previous postings I think my chances of recovering the e-mails are slim to none.

Lets hope that this problem gets resolved soon.

Nov 18, 2011 4:13 PM in response to jrobertson028

I noticed Disappearing yahoo emails on my iPad the last few weeks.

This has been the same problem discussed on many yahoo and apple forums since 2007.

Is it a bug?

Emails that i have been moved to a folder disappear during syncing phase when I next accessed that folder.

This was drastic when i moved all my travel confirmations to my travel folder.

I am trying to ascertain how random this problem is, or whether there is a pattern .

At first I thought these problems started when I changed fetch / push function to manual but still happening.

Best advice i read so far is NOT to move emails into Folders on iPad.

When in pc, check email is in folder immediately after move.

Nov 19, 2011 9:22 AM in response to jrobertson028

Also having this problem. Started about a month ago, before then no problems. Moved some emails from the inbox to a certain travel folder using my iPad. After a week, I went back to my travel folder I saw the emails disappear before my eyes. I saw the emails for a split second before the iPad synced the folder. Though it was a fluke, but it happened again. So far, I've lost 4 flight confirmations because of this bug.

So far I've only noticed this issue with one folder which I created many years ago. Maybe I'll recreate use a new folder and test it for a while.

I'm using Yahoo mail classic.

Nov 20, 2011 3:57 PM in response to jrobertson028

At first I thought it had o do with a property of travel confirmations because most complaints about disappearing emails were about travel confirmations.

But it's any email moved or 'filed' to a folder on iPad.

It has nothing to do with when the Folder was created.

I am certain it's a problem with moving/filing on iPad and syncing.

I have stopped using the Edit Move function on iPad.

Reiterate -- Move on pc.

If it is a 'bug', it's been around for a while - only hit me a month ago.

Dec 21, 2011 4:03 AM in response to jrobertson028

I noticed here that travel folders are mentioned frequently. It only seems to be happening to my travel folder.... Before it was everything then I changed the delet setting to never. Now it is random emails in my travel folder... I changed the name and created a new folder and will experiment with that. Strangely enough it only happens on my iPad 2 as well, not the first generation...

Dec 28, 2011 2:59 AM in response to jrobertson028

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem, I've been experimenting to try and understand under what circumstances it happens. It happens when I move emails from my inbox into a folder, but it does happen all of the time, only some of the time. This has caused me many problems becuase over the past few months I've lost etickets, flight confirmations and tax payment receipts, all of which are very important emails.

The only solution is to not file emails via my iPhone.

Apple please investigate and explain why this is happening.

Dec 28, 2011 4:51 AM in response to Tim Amphlett

You're Exactly right.

I am in Bangkok now having booked this whole holiday in October, filed all travel confirmations, hotels, travel insurance etc

Panicked at first, couldn't figure what I had done. On some occasions the emails disappeared in front of my eyes while syncing. They Did not end up in trash.

Bit of trouble phoning hotels.com, airlines, insurance company to resend confirmations because I didn't have reference numbers.

Don't bother phoning Apple. I phoned their helpline somewhere in Texas- I'm in New Zealand.

They don't know how to fix it, blaming yahoo.

You will find similar discussions on yahoo support groups.

Also lost some other important emails in other folders, so I do not file on iPad.

Problem is this is random.

Doesn't happen to everyone. And doesn't happen all the time.

We must all have another common factor. Are you yahoo?

Jan 1, 2012 12:38 PM in response to jrobertson028

Very new Mac user. Just last month acquired my MacBook Air and a 4S phone. Because I'm a newby, I thought it was my lack of familiarity with Mac that was leading to the randomly disappearing messages on my phone and PC.

My experience is like others. Messages are in various folders. Messages are then dissappearing, sometime right before my eyes as I click on a folder with the phone. I am not sure if I moved them to the folders on the phone or the PC, but I will try in future to just do it on the PC. What has disappeared is not travel documents, but rather various misc. messages. And yes, I am a RogersYahoo user.

My old Dell PC has ironically helped me out a bit. A while ago I used Outlook to access my Rogers Yahoo and it retrieved a number of messages. All were stored safely on the Dell. When I started losing them on the Mac system, at least I had the Dell to back me up.

If anybody hears more from Apple or Rogers, I too would be very interested in the results. E-mail access on the go was great until this problem arose.

Jan 4, 2012 7:00 AM in response to jrobertson028

I'm experiencing the exact same issues with the moving of email into folders on the ipad and seeing them disappearing before my eyes. Some of my emails were travel related and one was my acceptance into a grad school program. And I'm sure there are other ones I haven't figured out yet. I noticed the seting to delete deleted emails within 1 week (default) but some of my emails were less than a week old when they disappeared. Yahoo stated they could only recover the emails if I had noticed the issue within 1 to 2 days. From now on I will only move emails on my computer and not my ipad.

Yahoo emails randomly disappearing in iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.