Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing Between MAC and PC Problem

Hello all,

I am having an issue with home sharing between my iMac and PC. Here is the setup:

IBM x61 tablet with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit- I run itunes and see the iMac's itunes library just fine and can import perfectly

iMac with Snow Leopard- iTunes can see the IBM's library but can't load the library; it gets hung up. Also, the icon next to the library from the x61 is a music symbol and not the home icon so I know something is wrong. I have tried everything in the troubleshooting section of the apple support page besides opening the ports. It seemed to have happened witht the latest iTumes update.

Should I try port forwarding? I use a d-link 815 router and have avira anti-virus. Has anyone had success with windows 7 firewall and the ports?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Diggs

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 12:34 PM

5 replies

Nov 3, 2011 12:57 PM in response to Diggs2701

Presuming you have Home Sharing turned on correctly on both computers my guess is that the Firewall you are running on Windows is blocking the ports necessary for the iMac to see the Home Share properly. Try disabling all firewalls on your Windows machine and see if things change.

If Home Sharing begins to work check this article, http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2972 for info on which ports Home Sharing uses so you know what ports you need to open on your Windows computer.

Nov 3, 2011 2:57 PM in response to Gino Cerullo

Thanks for the info Gino!

I turned off the windows firewall and the iMac was able to see the x61's library but I couldn't copy any songs from the x61's library to the iMac. On my x61 I can see all the songs and select items not in my library. Is there any way to have this option on my iMac?

Also, when I turned back on the windows firewall and selected itunes as a program to allow it would not work. Do I have to forward those specific ports? Thanks!

Diggs

Nov 3, 2011 3:31 PM in response to Diggs2701

I'm not 100% sure of the terminology used by Windows or any other Windows firewall programs but in essence what you want to do is allow those port to pass through. Forwarding sounds correct to me. Do you only have one firewall active? I know Windows has its own built-in firewall and some security software also install firewalls and I know some people don't realize that they are running two and should turn one of them off. Not sure if you amy be running into that problem.

Here is a thread where someone shows what they did with their firewall settings to get things to work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3426367

Also, I wrote this for someone else. It explains how sharing in iTunes works. Maybe it can help you to troubleshoot your problem.

Home Sharing is enabled by selecting Home Sharing from the 'Advanced' menu (see screen shot below) and entering your Apple ID and password. Home Sharing allows unrestricted access to the shared iTunes library from computers on the network as well as from iOS devices. Home Sharing is required for access by iOS devices, they do not work with Library Sharing. Home sharing also allows you to copy media from one computer to another, something you can't do with Library Sharing. Home Sharing overrides Library Sharing if both are enabled.

User uploaded file

Library Sharing is enable by selecting 'Share my library on my local network' in iTunes Preference (see screen shot below.) Library Sharing does not work with iOS devices. Library Sharing only allows for the playback of media from shared libraries. You cannot copy media from one computer to another using Library Sharing. The 'Status:' indicator will display a count of the number of computers that are connected to your library using Library Sharing. Home Sharing connections will not be indicated here. You can also restrict who can connect to your library using a password. This password restriction has no affect on Home Sharing connections. They are authorized and controlled by the use of Apple IDs.

User uploaded file

How to tell if you are connecting to a library shared by Home Sharing or Library Sharing (see screen shot below.) A Home Sharing library icon looks like a house with a musical note on the side. A Library Sharing icon looks like a stack of CDs with a musical note on top. They are both labeled by the name of the shared library as configured in iTunes Preferences.

User uploaded file

I think I've covered everything and hope this helps people understand the difference between the two types of shared libraries and how to configure each.

Home Sharing Between MAC and PC Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.