1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2014 8:27 PM by tomflix
VolvoBug Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This was already archived from 2009 but I can't reply to it so search for "Getting unexpected "Tri Tone" alerts, with no messages" and that is what i am referring to.  I have iPhone 4S with iOS 5.  This is driving me crazy. The phone will just make the tri tone alert but no message will appear, nothing in notification center, anything. None of my sounds are set to Tri Tone. I checked all 3rd party apps in notification area, turned all the sounds off. Anybody else expiercing this? Anybody know what is going on? It is really annoying, and I can't pin point what is causing it. Please help!

Original Post I found: https://discussions.apple.com/message/10596144#10596144

Built on my own, Windows 7, iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS (retired)
  • 1. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    iTISTIC Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I'm having the SAME exact problem. Any ideas?! Seems to have started only after upgrading to 5.0.1

• 2. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    Mike_83 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same issue, I'm pretty sure that the sound is from no third party app. I've been running iOS 5.0 from the very first day, did not update to 5.0.1. Noises started yesterday for no apparent reason, I have an iPhone 4.

• 3. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    iTISTIC Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Figured out the problem for me. It turns out the GMail app was doing it. Once I uninstalled that app everything was fine. I noticed it was happening 1 minute after I got an email message.

• 4. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages

Makes sense, that's pretty much the only app that I've installed in the last couple days, will delete and see what happens.

• 5. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    jimbaab Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Just got one Tri-Tone alert, now, on replacement iPhone 4s. Original 4s, also, did this once. Original 4s had no Tri-Tone alerts set. New one does, but, neither phone message nor text came through. Notification center, also, shows no new information.

• 6. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    defecta Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same with my 3GS running the latest IOS. Really frustrating. Anothe thread was pointing the blame at an app called Weatherman+ but I don't even have that app.

• 7. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    aochoa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the 4s & mine has started doing this. I do not have the gmail app & the tri tone ring is only set to text messages... any other ideas on what is causing this?

• 8. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    Micah D. Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Same problem, my iphone 4s running iOs 5.1 randomly makes the TriTone alert when it appears absolutely nothing has happened on the phone.  I have triple checked all apps in notification center and all sounds are off.  I have changed all sounds for text, VM etc. so that none have the tri-tone as a sound.  Still happening.

I am running the Gmail app but it's not that either, unless it's a bug in that specific app.  I receive dozens of emails a day that do not set off any alerts.

This is driving me NUTS.

I believe at this point it's the PayPal app I use.  This app when sound is ON uses the TriTone alert by default and there's no way to change it.  It should be using that alert only when I receive payments, but now I think it's using it when I send payments as well. 

• 9. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages

When I had this issue a couple of moths ago, it was the gmail app, and it wasn't because of incoming emails or anything.  It was a random, out of the blue, no reason what so ever glitch. Deleting the app was my only solution.

Give it a try, you can always re-download the app, if that doesn't fix it.

• 10. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    Micah D. Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Micah D. wrote:

...I believe at this point it's the PayPal app I use...

Confirmed.  When I send OR receive money via Paypal my phone gives the tri-tone alert.

So for me there actually was/is no glitch, I just didn't understand what the Paypal app is doing.

• 11. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    VolvoBug Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hoping this will help narrow down the issue, I was the original poster and I have never had the Gmail or Paypal apps installed on my iPhone when this issue was happening. For me the problem just disappeared, not sure what was the culprit.

• 12. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    Wendy.z Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am also having this problem on my 4s. It started just after I upgraded to 5.1. I do not have gmail or PayPal on my phone. I don have tri tone for any alerts. And the only things that I even allow to alert me are iMessage, calender, and my phone. It doesn't vibrate or anything. Just the random noise. Has anyone actually figured this out yet?

• 13. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    H.R. Chorpenning Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Same issues as Wendy.z is having: no known conflicting apps (Paypal or Gmail) and it started happening with 5.1 upgrade. I have seen no one come up with an answer. (Isn't having a closed system, like Apple does, meant to help this not to happen?)

• 14. Re: Random Tri Tone Alerts, no messages
    lyonbryan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I too am having this issue. Has happened everyday for quite a few weeks now. Just this morning it has already happened 3 times. I have tried deleting a few apps, syncing, backing up, you name it, I have tried it and and still no resolution.

1 2 Previous Next