Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding network printers in Lion

Is there such a thing on the Mac OS 10.x system as adding a local printer using a TCP/IP port, where you can specify the printer's IP address as you would in WIndows? If so, is it explained somewhere how to do that?

Marty

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 12:29 PM

This may help

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3359472

4 replies

Nov 7, 2011 12:51 PM in response to MjFranek

There is such a thing as adding a local printer using TCP/IP, except on the Mac it is known as an IP printer. On 10.7 you open Print & Scan and click the plus button to add. Then in the Add Printer browser you select the IP icon. The resulting window lets you select the desired network protocol, such as IPP, LPD or HP Jetdirect-Socket (known as RAW Port 9100 on Windows). With the protocol selected you then enter the IP address of the printer, enter a queue name if necessary, and select the driver via the Print Using drop menu.

Nov 7, 2011 1:45 PM in response to Denico

Thanks to all of you for your replies. After I made the post, the user vacated the machine for awhile and so I was able to sit down and try this and that and stumbled upon the procedure. I have given the user the printers she needs access to.

Now I have been given a new challenge in the area of printing but for that I suppose I should start a new discussion.

Adding network printers in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.