Skip navigation

How can you stop Siri from sending automatic meeting invites?

3948 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2014 10:04 AM by Keith Gardner1 RSS
1 2 Previous Next
macman_84 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 8, 2011 7:18 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to stop Siri from automatically sending out meeting invites.  This would normally be considered a "feature" but it can also be very annoying so ideally I would like Siri to ask if I would like to send out invites to a calander event.

Example if you say: "Schedule surprise birthday party for John Doe. for November 8th at 9pm" then Siri will send a meeting invite to John Doe for the surprise party.

Example if you say: "Add appointment with Dr. Nick on Nov..." will send an email notification to Dr. Nick...

Anyone please help with this.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5
  • LJH_CMH Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

I'm wondering the exact same thing. The worst part is that Siri doesn't even tell you that it's sending these invites. I only discovered this after I made lunch plans with my Mom. THANK GOD this didn't happen with a professional appointment, I would have been humiliated.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to turn this off? I can't believe Apple would allow such a dangerous "feature" to exist. An email should NEVER be sent without my specific consent.

• Michelle Lyons Calculating status...

I'd LOVE and answer to this since Siri very kindly sent an invite to a surprise party to the person who was to be surprised. Way to go Siri! Apple definitely needs to fix this. I was not too happy to have this sent and knew nothing about it until the birthday boy emailed me asking about it. Needless to say, his wife is not too pleased with me!

• Abeneedshelp Calculating status...

Has there been any resolution to this issue ?

• TekNoJunky Calculating status...

I'm sure they will fix this in the general release, Siri is in Beta right now.

• alinds Calculating status...

As far as I can tell, no fixes yet. Hopefully TekNoJunky is right. I noticed on another thread that people were suggesting that you complain through the Apple feedback page: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Every little bit will help, I'm sure!

• Tremendo Calculating status...

I just realized this problem too.  I apprently have been sending out emails for appointments, but having no record of it either.  I only noticed because I went to change the reminder of an appointment on Outlook and it asked if I wanted to send an update.  I'm not sure how many people have gotten these appointment confirms, but not knowing they get sent out, I often include things I don't want others to see.

It seems like a temporary work-around is to not use a last name, and manually select "some other XXX" at the bottom of the list, so there's no email to send it to.

• RoWaSc Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I also find this to be an extremely frustrating situation.   I never use invitation features, as I always just want to add appointments to my own personal calendar.  I cannot find anything in the settings that prevents Siri from sending out invitations.   I really hope somebody can find a really good workaround or that Mac addresses this issue.

• DrzL Calculating status...

Can we get a fix or a workaround for this? Siri shouldn't be emailing people without my permission. Bad Siri. No!

• smoot Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)

I solved it.

If you want to schedule a surprise party for John Doe you have to say this exactly: "schedule quote surprise party for John Doe end quote at 1pm tomorrow."

Example if you say: "Schedule quote surprise birthday party for John Doe. end quote for November 8th at 9pm" then Siri will NOT send a meeting invite to John Doe for the surprise party.

Example if you say: "Add quote appointment with Dr. Nick end quote on Nov..." will NOT send an e-mail notification to Dr. Nick...

• pikerding Calculating status...

That is NOT a solution!!!

Where is Apple?  This corrupt "feature" is now two years old.  It can literally ruin relationships, and Apple's reckless negligence for this evil has been enough for me to actually start paying attention to Samsung ads.

The little things are adding up AAPL.  And I'm far from the only one...

I agree the bug needs to be fixed. If I could do it I would but this work around actually does work. As far as Samsung phones go . . . they have pluses and minuses.

• pikerding Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Here's a plus: a Samsung phone won't ruin a massive business opportunity for a user by secretly entitling itself to automatically engage in communication on behalf of the user that was never authorized by the user.

Forget Samsung; when it comes to my business, a CALENDAR DRAWN ON MY HAND outweighs the personal damage caused by this shifty feature.

From the deceptive iCloud adoption-through-confusion-and-intimidation schemes to the maps problem to the other obvious pipeline power grabs are all being implemented at the direct expense of inter-device compatibility and basic functionality for users.  As a result Apple is increasingly compromising fundamental reliability and trust capital among users at a very dark and unprecedented level. 

If you introduce a new feature that ties into real, essential matters/ relationships in a person's life that are far more important than your increasingly less competitive technology, then don't let users lean on it unless it's bullet proof.  And, if you tell users to lean on it and they get burned as a result, at least be sorry -- AND FIX IT.

Rather than pioneering new, amazing and reliable products and services, it seems the only innovation remaining at Apple are protectionist initiatives to squeeze as much as possible out of existing technology and user dependency on it.

I get the ical/siri issues.  Google calander has the same flaw by the way.  As for this:

From the deceptive iCloud adoption-through-confusion-and-intimidation schemes to the maps problem to the other obvious pipeline power grabs are all being implemented at the direct expense of inter-device compatibility and basic functionality for users.  As a result Apple is increasingly compromising fundamental reliability and trust capital among users at a very dark and unprecedented level. 

Deceptive iCloud adoption?  Not sure what you mean but icloud can be shut off very easily.  Intimidation? Yeah right, you got any examples?  Pipeline power grabs?  You don't want them to get the best prices on componants?  Maps problem? Overhyped and mostly fixed, google maps has issues with certain locations being accurate as well just do a search there are many websites that list problems with both.  Inter-device compatability?  I don't know of any other company that has better device integration.  Trust capital? Very dark?  That's hyperbole. 

• pikerding Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Intimidation: to turn off/ remove the automatically opted iCloud feature, the iPhone ambiguously states that ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED.  It is scary.

Pipeline power grab: asking Siri to identify and call a contact -- such a simple action can be done locally on the phone's OS; instead, for some reason the request must first go all the way to Apple's servers before ANY Siri request can be performed.  Sure, more complex tasks need more complex support.  But not simple tasks.

Compatibility: I have a $2300 "state of the art" retina display, yet I can't bluetooth one f***ing photo, video, note, or ANY other file to or from my phone.  So...the better and more expensive, the LESS freedom I have?  Isn't that...sad?  (see also: pipeline power grab and forced icloud adoption)

Maps: I didn't say anything about maps.  I also failed to mention the gun control or gay marriage debates.  Should we discuss those as well?  Arbitrarily pushing pro-gay marriage sentiments is like the titts of tech PR right now.

Trust Capital/ Very Dark: A company enters the dark side when it stops reinvesting its earned consumer influence into perpetuating its original priority to optimize user experience and satisfaction, and instead starts letting the exploitation of that influence outrank and compromise the importance of keeping customers happy.

Not there yet, but on the path, and it's clearly adding up. 

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.