Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 and still have terrible battery life

I upgraded to the new software today and am still losing about 10% per hour of batter, even when i'm not using the phone!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 7:03 PM

110 replies

Nov 10, 2011 7:59 PM in response to okstatefan203

My battery life improved greatly after the upgrade to 5.0.1. With 5.0, I had turned off some location services and push notifications and was getting better battery life but would lose about 20% in 3 hours.

After the upgrade to 5.0.1, after 6 hours with 1 in use and 5 in standby I was down 9%. In the first 4 hours, with 30 minutes of use and 3:30 of standby I was down 4%. Huge improvement.

Nov 10, 2011 9:00 PM in response to flybyglass

4S - a couple of weeks old.

I just updated to OS 5.0.1. two hours ago. I then topped off the battery on my stand charger.

I have 1 hour 20 minutes of usage and the battery is now down to 74% This is far worse than os5.0.

I was hoping good things with 5.0.1, but instead it took a step backwards. I am going to go to the apple store in the next few days. I have heard that some phones are more prone to this than others. I have tried all the fixes mentioned online (location service, screen, full drain and recharge, tome zone, etc.).

I am an apple fanboy and have bought 15 plus iPhones and over 40 macs. I love the products, but this is making me wish I had stayed with my iPhone 4... upgrades are no worth the hassle.

Anyone have suggestions on what can be done to fix this without going and exchanging the phone?

Nov 10, 2011 10:45 PM in response to okstatefan203

Hi,

I did the battery drain, turned off time zone and compass calibration which were constantly on and got two days of light usage. Previously at 5-6hours! Placed in airplane mode over night and it would loose 2%. Now downloaded update and time zone still stuck to on, so turned it off...again. Now was at 95% as I went to bed and put it on airplane mode only for me to wake up with it 5% down. Not horrific but how is it going to fair today with usage??? Will let you know.

Nov 11, 2011 12:08 AM in response to deggie

I've only been having this battery issue with the time zone location ever since I updated my 4S to IOS 5.0.1. However I have noticed that the pointy arrow icon in the status bar did not turn on even if with this location service turned on just before i restored my phone from a backup.

After reading your message about try restoring the phone as new, I will try that later on.

Nov 11, 2011 12:23 AM in response to okstatefan203

5.0.1 trial:

night before last i did a test- i charged to 100% just before going to bed at 11, turned on sleep mode and put it on my bedside table. Yesterday morning i switched it on after 7hrs of sleep and it only had 76% left. Pretty crap result when it SHOULD have been sitting doing nothing. The phone died at around 5 30 in the afternoon after a light use day.

Yesterday I 'upgraded' to 5.0.1 and performed the same test. 7hrs in sleep mode after a 100% charge and when i woke this morning i was hoping for an improved number when i switched it on. And the answer is.... 79%. Wow, a 3% improvement. Now at 8:20 its already down to 69% after checking 2 emails and playing 45mins of music aver headphones.

Call that an improvement??? Apple, you f...ing suck. Sorry, now i am really ******. I want my money back.

( an-ex blackberry user)

Nov 11, 2011 12:36 AM in response to okstatefan203

i am in minsk, belarus, i am not experiencing any troubles with signal strength and dropped calls.

i have the iphone 4 16gb white model running 5.0.1

battery life is great, yesterday after the update i spend an hour editing photos in photoshop, and battery dropped only 10%, almost all services whatsoever are off

the only issue i am expiriencing is that while the phone is in standby mode the usage time is growing. i went to bed with 4:34 usage time, while i was asleep i didn't do anything with it. today i wake up and find that usage time is now 4:45. now that is strange considering i have nothing running on it, closed all background apps

I have upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 and still have terrible battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.