Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV goes into rolling reset when connected to network

I just factory reset my 1st gen apple tv. it was on the latest software version, however, factory reset caused it to revert to software ver 1.0. I figured no big deal, will just update from the internet, however, it would constantly continue to reset (1 sec interval). I was able figure out that the issue is when I connect to the netowrk (either wire or wireless), otherwise it seems stable. Does anyone know what the issue is or how I can update to latest version without the network, i.e. via USB port?

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 6:54 PM

19 replies

Nov 12, 2011 7:33 PM in response to Alley_Cat

It starts to reset continuously as soon as I connect it to my home network (either wirelessly or wired), otherwise, when disconnected, it resets once and then stays on the main screen (which is of no use at this time). I hope I was able to clearly explain what you were looking for.

Thankyou,

Hasen

P.S.

You know what? I will try to create and upload a video...

Nov 12, 2011 7:39 PM in response to Hasen

Afraid to say I'm not sure there's an easy answer to this.

Either AppleTV's restore has not been successful, or perhaps the unit is crashing because an older server it is trying to connect to is no longer available - if the latter you might be stuck unless Apple resurrect whatever AppleTV communicates with on network connection.

Was this AppleTV ever hacked/modified?

AC

Nov 12, 2011 7:47 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Nope, never modified or hacked otherwise. Was my Dad's and was set up with his itunes account info. I figured the easiest way is to restore it to factory original settings and then just add my account.

I do have a question though. The issues seems to start as soon as I connect to the network, not when I try to updated the device. For example, I will plug in the ethernet cable and within a couple of seconds rolling resets with begin. I remove the cable and it takes a breather. Would an apple server be an issue at this point?

Nov 12, 2011 7:57 PM in response to Hasen

Hasen wrote:

For example, I will plug in the ethernet cable and within a couple of seconds rolling resets with begin. I remove the cable and it takes a breather. Would an apple server be an issue at this point?

Yes, that's what I'm thinking - it came out in 2007 with software 1.0. Pretty sure there was some kind of security update with 1.1 or maybe a later update. It could be that Apple have retired a server that version 1.0 used - if they have that's bad as there's no official way to update AppleTV except over the internet, and updating 1.0 direct to 3.02 used to work ok as far as I remember.

I suggest you send feedback to Apple here:

Apple - Apple TV - Feedback

Nov 13, 2011 4:00 PM in response to Hasen

I actually just had this same problem develop with my 1st generation Apple TV where I did a factory restore to try and fix the Authorization issue for recent iTunes downloads that others had been talking about.

Unplugging the ethernet cable stops the constant Apple logo reset but I can't do a software update without the internet. I know it isn't my network either because I have another 1st generation AppleTV on the latest software and it works fine when I hook it up to that TV & ethernet.

Nov 13, 2011 4:13 PM in response to Hasen

I have nailed the problem, and I think Alley Cat was right:

Alley_Cat wrote:

It could be that Apple have retired a server that version 1.0 used - if they have that's bad as there's no official way to update AppleTV except over the internet,

1. I connected the apple TV to my MAC via ethernet. (no network sharing)

2. It got a mac assigned IP address

3. Itunes saw the apple tv and I was able to sucessfully sync to it! (sent a picture to it via sync)

4. enabled internet sharing via wifi to ethernet.

5. Still up. but as soon as I went to update software, the rolling reset started again.

6. disconnected the cable and it stopped.

Any ideas?? I am losing hair over this. quite frustrating!

Thanks

Nov 13, 2011 4:22 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill, thank you!! I disconnected the WAN cable on my Time Capsule and checked on the AppleTV (still connected via Ethernet) and it had stopped cycling through the Apple logo. With the WAN cable still disconnected I went through the menus and had the Software update highlighted and then connected the WAN cable back. Selected Update Software on the ATV and it downloaded and installed no problem.

I did a Facotry Restore a second time just to verify and it worked like a charm just disconnecting the Time Capsule from the internet but leaving my internal network up.

Apple TV goes into rolling reset when connected to network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.