Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo mail problems with Safari?

This just started happening in the past couple of weeks: When I am working in yahoo mail, Safari consistently crashes and I have to restart my Macbook Pro. Any fixes for this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 7:37 AM

18 replies

Nov 22, 2011 12:16 PM in response to darrendseb

I've been having similar problems, and only very recently. Works fine from my iPad but not from my MacBook Air. Another list suggested it had something to do with pop-ups that Yahoo is trying to send. I went to Safari (next to the Apple) and clicked on Block Pop-up Windows, and things seem to work. Hope it does for you too.

Nov 22, 2011 7:08 PM in response to darrendseb

I had the beach ball thing going on for the last few weeks. I found that occasionally yahoo mail was stealing all my memory. I could see it by using the active monitor utility under safari web content. Somewhere on one of these posts the following was suggested. Wish I knew the guy's name to credit. So far so good. When I first did below. Everything hung up and I had to restart the machine. But smooth sailing since.

Here's his post.... I don't have problem with new Yahoo Mail in Safari anymore after doing 4 things:

1) Update to Safari 5.1.1

2) Update to Adobe Flash 11

3) Clearing the Flash Cache: Go to System Preferences, select Flash Player, then under Storage tab, click "Delete All..." button and then click "Delete Data" button.

4) Restart Safari.

Nov 29, 2011 3:29 PM in response to markfromsaint charles

simple fix here since there site only works cross platform 32bit and 64bit ie and firefox (sometimes), to get safari working with yahoo mail. To do this go to your finder> then applications> the second click (right click) on safari click get info, then you will need to hit the checkbox open in 32bit mode, close that out and restart your computer and now it should work 🙂

Nov 30, 2011 8:55 AM in response to darrendseb

So far, Mark's fix should be holding so I did not try Mike's. I had earlier written to Yahoo, and here is their suggestion, but I've not tried any of it:

Based on the information within your email, I'd like to offer a few

troubleshooting steps outlined below that you can try from your

computer. After you complete each of the steps, you will want to test to

see if the issue is still present. These steps are available with

detailed instructions in the Yahoo! Mail help pages located at:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/technical/browser-01.html

1. Disable any Internet browser's addons or plugins.

2. Temporarily disable any security software.

3. Delete your Internet browser's cookies and cache.

4. Update Flash Player.

5. Ensure that JavaScript is updated and enabled in your Internet

browser.

6. Restart your Internet browser.

7. Restart your computer.

8. Temporarily switch to a different supported Internet browser.

9. Test from another computer; please include the results of this test

with any response to this email.

10. Test from another location; please include the results of this test

with any response to this email.

If the troubleshooting steps listed above do not resolve your issue, you

can reply to this email including the results of any tests with the

response.

I hope this addresses your issue. If there is anything else that we can

assist you with, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Mail Customer Care.

Dec 15, 2011 6:42 PM in response to michal WLaf

Nope, still having issues after reseting safari to 32 bit mode and restarting Macbook Pro. Problem usually hapens when I click on Yahoo mail folder icons on the left side of thr window. Should mention I'm using OS 10.6.8, Safari 5.1.1 and Flash 11 (latest), Macbook Pro 5,1. Am thinking about Chrome, but may try WebKit first to se if it runs any better.

Dec 15, 2011 7:25 PM in response to michal WLaf

After trying the above solutions (none worked) I installed the latest build of WebKit (Safari's open source cousin) and voilá, Yahoo Mail works just fine. I can't get a beachball if I try.

But wait... it gets better. While using WebKit I tried to get back into apple discussions to write this reply and IT WON"T LOAD!!! After the page tries to load 4-5 times I get a message saying the page cannot be displayed.

Anyone else having any luck?

Dec 16, 2011 11:54 AM in response to atwolf

Okay! I'll give it a try. One other tell I should have mentioned; Safari and Yahoo Mail work fine at work, same OS, same software versions, same MacBook (but different hard drive) so it makes sense that Safari on the home hard drive has become corrupted. Look forward to a reinstall. Ya'know the number of times I've had issues like this that have been solved by deleting the application .plist from preferences, it might be worth a try here.

Yahoo mail problems with Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.