Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All photos upside down!

When I import photos and videos to my PC with windows 7 x64 and view them in photo viewer they're all upside down. I try to rotate them in photo viewer but some of them get "Windows Photo Viewer can't save the changes to this picture because there's a problem with the picture's file properties" error. What can I do, if anything?

iPhone 4S, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 9:37 AM

33 replies

Nov 23, 2011 9:50 PM in response to loranga

Here are links to four short MOV files showing the four orientations for the iPhone 4S. I had to upload them to DropBox for you as all of my available Cloud based mail programs choked on saving or sending these little video files.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0061.MOV

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0062.MOV

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0063.MOV

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0064.MOV

I usually record hockey games in Landscape mode with the Home Button of the iPhone on the left side with the screen facing me. That is the mov file IMG_0063.MOV

Apple's QuickTime Player displays it correctly, while the VLC player, which ignores exif flags plays it upside down. So does the Plex Media streamer ignore the flag, so does the thunderbird mail app ignore the flag, and so on. Adobe looks at the exif flags so they get it right.

My movies are of four Post It Notes, each one describing the location of the Home Button. Take a series of four pictures oriented like my test MOV files , then take 4 short MOV files of the same iPhone orientation. If the results are "misoriented" then the software you are using to look at them is ignoring the orientation flages.

For more detail of this subject look at http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/exif-orientation.html

JPEG Rotation and EXIF Orientation

Digital Cameras with orientation sensors allow auto-rotation of portrait images. Unfortunately, support for this feature is not widespread or consistently applied.

Digital Cameras with Orientation Sensors

Many newer digital cameras (both dSLR and Point & Shoot digicams) have a built-in orientation sensor. Virtually all Canon and Nikon digital cameras have an orientation sensor. The output of this sensor is used to set the EXIF orientation flag in the image file's metatdata to reflect the positioning of the camera with respect to the ground. Canon calls their sensor the "Intelligent Orientation" sensor. It is presumably a 2-axis tilt sensor, allowing 4 possible orientations to be detected (shown in the left side of the diagram in the link above).

Dec 7, 2011 4:33 AM in response to Jaws149

Well they do provide a feedback form and I know a couple of people have sent them messages about this issue, including myself.

Unfortunaly the message just appears to go into a black hole, never to be heard of again. We have no way of knowing if the message was read, if it went to the right people or even if Apple even intend to fix it.

Dec 7, 2011 11:15 AM in response to apple_tox

apple_tox wrote:

Well they do provide a feedback form and I know a couple of people have sent them messages about this issue, including myself.

Unfortunaly the message just appears to go into a black hole, never to be heard of again. We have no way of knowing if the message was read, if it went to the right people or even if Apple even intend to fix it.

This is NOT an Apple problem.

Apple and Adobe, along with many others, are following the EXIF metadata policy of all the major camera manufacturers.

For more detail of this subject look at

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/exif-orientation.html

Dec 7, 2011 11:17 AM in response to Jaws149

Jaws149 wrote:

why isn't there any possibility to email straight to some kind of apple complaint service? I want to have this problem fixed too, it's annoying. Apple should do something with this as soon as possible

This is NOT an Apple problem.

Apple and Adobe, along with many others, are following the EXIF metadata policy of all the major camera manufacturers.

For more detail of this subject look at

http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/exif-orientation.html

Dec 8, 2011 12:59 AM in response to AdjuvantJohn

Wrong this is an Apple problem.. Most customersaren't bothered about metadata, camera standards or the “right” way to do it,they just want it to work, or in other words, always have their photos theright way round. I’d rather my photos are always correct rather than worryabout some standard that most software don’t seem to be adopting and judging bythe response to this issue most people seem to agree, just do a google search.

Sorry AdjuvantJohn but it seems you’re on yourown on this one. I don’t see people shouting to have their photos\videos upsidedown just so they can say their photos are Apple\Adobe compliant. Pleaseremember a lot of people won’t be viewing them on Apple\Adobe software so yourargument doesn’t help them.

Dec 8, 2011 7:52 AM in response to apple_tox

With older cameras, folks generally took pictures with the viewfinder on top. Results had the photos right way up. The few that they took with the view finder on one side, they accepted as being something they might want to rotate for sake of being consistent. All was well in the world.

Then along came Smart Phones with the ability to take pictures. Lots of different manufacturers. Many design choices by many designers. These Smart Phones ( including my treasured iPhone 4S I use for taking hockey game videos) can be reasonably held in any one of four orientations.

In the case of the iPhone 4S, you and I have a choice of holding our iPhone with the

1) Home Button up

2) Home Button down

3) Home Button right

4) Home Button left

Modern digital cameras and Smart Phone cameras use the orientation meta data to provide orientation information to the digital image processing software.

If you have any, any at all, example of a current model of a Smart Phone camera one can buy todaythat does it "your way" please let this list know about it.

The problem is that all the digital camera providers that are offering products for sale today, (that I am aware of) handle camera orienation this way.

In the past, some providers of hardware and software did not do so. Some providers of software are still not doing so.

Bottom line, this is NOT an Apple problem.

Dec 9, 2011 5:29 AM in response to AdjuvantJohn

Of course it is efficient to use the exit data for orientation and save the foto itself any old way (probably the same as the orientation of the sensor itself). And I agree with AdjuvantJohn that this is not Apple's problem. Unfortunately it is my problem. I have found it difficult to convince my friends and acquaintances to change their email clients so they could see the pictures I send in the correct orientation. Especially since everbody else's pics turn out upside up. Not one of them was able to convince their IT-department to change the email clients for the whole firm, so that everybody could see the iphone's pictures correctly.😼

Workaround for the portrait mode: Open the pic in Camera+, rotate right, rotate left, and send. The foto will arrive oriented correctly, and without visual loss of quality. The same probably works with other foto-editors.

Landscape mode: Just make sure the home button is to the right (counterintuitively, with the volumes buttons pointing downwards)

Dec 9, 2011 6:06 AM in response to loranga

If it’s causing these problems for their customers then itbecomes Apple’s problem. People are receiving these photos and videos upsidedown\sideways so they can’t view them properly. What are you supposed to say, pleaseinstall software X just so you can view my photo? What about video, you can’treally fix the video issue without re-encoding and losing quality.

Do you think Apple want their customers like yourself tohave to go and purchase and install third party apps like Camera+ just so theycan share their photos? Do you think Apple wants you to use your iphone upsidedown when taking footage so the shutter button is at the bottom and harder toreach?

How are we supposed to share our photos and videos with otherpeople when it works in this state? No one has come up an adequate solutionother than trying to fix the problem after the fact, i.e. constantly loadingeach and every photo you want to share into some application and resaving out,come on that’s not a solution it’s dealing with a bad situation.

All photos upside down!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.