Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion's Text edit has no 'Save As'

There is only a 'Save a Version' on the menu, no Save As. I have no idea where these versions live, ut I need to save the text in a specific folder with a specific title and cannot do this. I guess theworkaround is to open it is Word (ugh) and save it there. This defeat the whole beauty of Text Edit. Is there something I am not seeing? or doing?

iMac Core Duo 2.6Gh-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 11:36 AM

22 replies

Nov 14, 2011 12:27 PM in response to Sugeet Posey

The "Save As" function was removed in the current Lion version, perhaps in earlier ones, too. Unless a 3rd-party program publisher chooses to still include it, it won't be there. This means that Apple-published programs (TextEdt, Preview, the iWork suite, etc.) will no longer have it.

Duplicate works (sort of) as a substitute; though it requires extra steps, it does allow renaming, choosing a different format, and placing the doc in a different location.

Me, I'd rather have "Save As' - it was an old friend, very useful, and I miss it.

Nov 14, 2011 2:34 PM in response to SteveKir

SteveKir wrote:

If you can get it, copy TextEdit from SnowLeopard and add it to your Lion Applications folder (but put Lion's TextEdit in another place in case you need it). Save As... works as before, although DefaultFolder for Lion will not work with SL's TextEdit in Lion.

Just to save 1 extra step? The benefits of Versions far outweigh the inconvenience of an extra step

Nov 14, 2011 2:34 PM in response to Don Archibald

Is there no way to get word to Apple? I cannot believe that thousands of users have no depended onPreview to change the format of a photo, to chance copy from the web to TextEdit for quick reference etc. It has so many uses that the only reason I can imagine their dropping it is to make it work like iOS - and that would be a step backward. I notice there is "Provide Mail Feedback" in Mail, but no such thing for Text Edit or Preview.

Nov 14, 2011 3:48 PM in response to Tony T1

Going into Time Machine and bringing back 1.6 instead of 1.7 produces the following error message: Text edit can't be modified or deleted because it's rquired by Mac OSX. So I move 1.7 ino Dropbox and try to get 1.6 again and again get the same message and find 1.7 is still in applications. If you have a way to let me do this, I would go get 1.6 again and use it.

Lion's Text edit has no 'Save As'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.