Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Move to Main Monitor After Display Sleep

I have two monitors on my iMac, and after installing 10.7.2 I am noticing a peculiar behavior. When OS X puts the displays to sleep, the second monitor goes into power save mode, and it looks like OS X decides that the second monitor no longer exists, so it collects all of the windows I had on the second monitor and puts them on the main monitor. So, I get to move a bunch of windows around every time I return to the computer.

Anyone else having a similar issue recently? Any ideas? It doesn't look like I can prevent powersave mode on the second monitor.

thanks,

eric.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 1:24 PM

6 replies

Jan 25, 2013 4:03 AM in response to Eric Busboom

Hello everyone,

For disabling the so called clamshell mode in mountain lion, I used the following terminal code: sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0" and it worked fine. Now closing lid causes sleep (with external display and magsafe attached). Perfect.

BUT: I have noticed that all application windows are now placed on the main display after waking up from sleep mode (and Eric, for me it doesn't matter which display is set to be the main one, external or internal). And this is – as you might guess and agree – really annoying.

Is anyone out there who has a solution for this WITHOUT an extra app like "stay" (which is not exactly what I need, since I wish lion to take care of it automatically)?

Many thanks from Berlin,

Cheers

PS: oh, and a restart does open all application windows on the right spot – just where they were before restart.

Windows Move to Main Monitor After Display Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.