Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3Gs Battery draining fast.

Since the upgrade to iOS 5 my 3GS. My iPhone runs hot and the battery drains very fast.

Any suggestions?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:17 AM

20 replies

Nov 15, 2011 6:33 AM in response to bhaskarforiphone

Just look around the forum posts. Your issue is the number one problem reported by users. There are many suggestions found, some work for some users, others do not.

Some users have reported no battery problems after the upgrade. Others have improved performance after upgrading to 5.0.1 from 5.0. YMMV.

Many of the posts offer suggestions about changing various settings - there are many that affect the battery life.

Dec 1, 2011 6:16 AM in response to bhaskarforiphone

Im still running on 4.2.1 on my 3GS. The device worked fine until the last 2 months the battery started draining very fast. I had like 10% each day, now its draining 40% on 8 hours.

When i reset network settings the problem is solved for a couple of days but will start again after.

I was wondering if i do a restore as new phone will solve the problem and which OS will be installed on my device.

I got my blopbs saved btw.

Dec 1, 2011 7:49 PM in response to bhaskarforiphone

I admit that I'm a bit behind the times, as I recently upgraded from a 3G to a 3GS, and it came with iOS 5 installed. The fast battery drain (aside from the original iOS 5 draining problem, which was fixed with the update), I just started experiencing this problem within the past couple of days. Not just the fast draining when I'm Using my iPhone, but even when it's not in use! I'd really hate to have to restore my phone to new (as I've seen suggested) and have to reconfigure everything, so for now I'll just keep recharging it more frequently while reading all the different posts on this topic, in the hopes someone comes up with a solution or answer.

Dec 6, 2011 7:04 PM in response to bhaskarforiphone

I, too, have just begun experiencing this in the past few days, even though I upgraded weeks ago. By habit, I am careful not to run a bunch of apps at the same time but it doesn't seem to matter. It's draining in one day with NO usage on my part. DId I visit a site where someone added something? That's what it feels like. I've had this phone since it came out. It was never good battery-wise but this is bad. 😟

Dec 7, 2011 4:42 AM in response to bhaskarforiphone

Since iOS 5 is new, I really hoped that the suggestion to close the running apps would do the trick. I can say it seemed like most of my apps were open, but closing them all, and going back to close apps that I've just used, isn't helping. As I mentioned, my new phone didn't have this problem until sometime last week. For me, it's not the Cloud (because I 'm not using it yet), and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with an app I recently installed or upgraded. It's just very annoying and now I don't feel "safe" using my phone when out for fear that the battery will totally drain.

Dec 16, 2011 7:23 PM in response to marcfromwednesbury

I've really been wracking my brain trying to determine what, if anything, might be different since this problem started for me a couple of weeks ago: new app? changed settings? something else? I made sure to turn off many features that are known to eat up the battery, but still no improvement (the battery was at 58% when I went to bed one night, without having been used much, and was down to 48% when I got up in the morning!!!). I even tried the suggestion of making sure to close down all apps after each use. This helped a little, but not as much as I had hoped. Then I remembered one setting change I had recently made: I turned on the % that shows to the left of the battery icon. So I turned that off. It's totally ironic, but my battery performance has greatly improved since doing this!!! In addition to having the battery % not show, I'm also now in the habit of making sure to shut down all running apps (which is a slight inconvenience), and I'm actually back to where I was with good battery life! If this works for anyone else, please let everyone know. If my battery performance drops down again, I'll add another post. However, I'm really hoping that how things have been in the last few days, since I made the changes, stays this way!

Apr 23, 2012 12:21 AM in response to bhaskarforiphone

I'm on 5.1 as of a few days ago.

My 3gs goes from 100% charge over night, to 73% in two hours only on stand by.

not one single text or phone call in or out.

All apps are off, icloud off, bluetooth off, mail off, push off, location sevices off, wifi off.

******* everything off!

Absolutely ridiculous.

If this not solved in the next week or two, I'm chucking this phone and moving over to an android phone.

Utter rubbish.

Apr 26, 2012 9:39 PM in response to bhaskarforiphone

Just updated iPhone 3GS to 5.1 and am having same issues as described above: phone running hot (never ran warm to the touch before) and battery draining fast even when phone not in use -- and with all push-data settings off. Charge used to last for about 5 hours - now barely 2. Apple said this is all normal - but phone wasn't like this before..... not eager to restore to factory settings. Any other solutions out there?

Apr 27, 2012 5:07 AM in response to lizziegee

Read my previous post. When I upgraded my 3GS to iOS5, I suddenly started to experience rapid battery drain, even overnight, when not in use. I started to religiously remember to close out all open apps when done (by holding down the Home button, until they all show across the bottom, then clicking on the "X" in the upper left corner of each app), and particularly those like Mail, that could possibly be "searching" for updates. This seemed to immediately fix the battery drain problem, and I have had no issues since. My phone doesn't get "hot", and the battery life is wonderful. I wish you luck!

iPhone 3Gs Battery draining fast.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.