Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match vs. Play Counts

Hello everyone - I need some help.

I signed up for Match last night, and it matched/uploaded just about all of my music. I've been messing with it today trying to figure out how it works, and ran into an error that I can't figure out - play counts.

I downloaded a new album (CAMP by Childish Gambino, if you're wondering), imported it into iTunes, uploaded it to iCloud/Match, and it was listed as "Matched." The album showed up on my iPhone and my iPad. Perfect!

I listened to it a few times on my phone, rated a few songs, etc, then opened up iTunes to see what it did. It pulled down the ratings from the cloud, but not the play counts. I plugged my phone in and synced (wifi sync wasn't connecting due to an unknown error) in hopes that an itunes sync would pull the play counts down, but no luck...

Anyone else tried this or have a similar experience? I have a few playlists built around play counts and would really like to have my play counts updated. Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 11:10 AM

474 replies

Nov 16, 2011 3:50 AM in response to alecp763

I have the same issue and spoke to an Apple support person. He said the play counts should stay in sync, which is how they designed it. I said others have had the same issue and as of yesterday he wasn't aware of any others. Gave the usual advice - restart everything, sign out and sign back in, etc. This seems to be the same problem with home sharing, which also won't update play counts, despite a check box to enable the feature. For me, this is a deal breaker - I'll stop using the service entirely.

Nov 16, 2011 6:59 AM in response to alecp763

I'm having the same problem too with my iPhone & Touch. When I was using the developer version all of my playcounts would get synced no matter which device I was using. Now, they're just showing up when I play them through iTunes on my computers. I have playlists that rely on playcounts too so it's an issue for me. Not a big issue but still an issue.

Nov 16, 2011 4:29 PM in response to alecp763

iTunes match was just released so I'm sure Apple's servers are being overloaded right now. Like tibble said my play counts eventually updated. I did a couple of tests. I played 1 song several times on my iphone and it took about 20 minutes for it to update my play counts on my iMac. Perhaps in the future when the flood dies down playcounts will be updated faster, but as of right now they are pretty slow.

iTunes Match vs. Play Counts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.