Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This item was not added to iCloud because an error occurred.

I have approximately 400 songs that have the iCloud icon with a slash through it. When I click on the icon, I get this message: This item was not added to iCloud because an error occurred.

Right clicking, and selecting "Add to iCloud" does not work. iTunes will check the song, and does not return an error, but it also doen not upload the song.

"iCloud Status", in iTunes , for the songs not uplaoded is "Error".

I have searched the internet, and see that many people ar having the same issue, but right clicking, and selecting "Add to iCloud" seems to work for them.

If anyone could offer suggestions to fix this, I would appreciate it.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:34 PM

Have you selected all the songs with this issue and then "added them to the icloud"? I am having a similar issue. I was able to get almost all of my songs uploaded or matched doing this. Still having trouble with a few songs. Also getting an error message that says the song is no eligible for the icloud. Really weird because one album I got from iTunes!

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2011 8:34 PM in response to DCIFRTHS

Have you selected all the songs with this issue and then "added them to the icloud"? I am having a similar issue. I was able to get almost all of my songs uploaded or matched doing this. Still having trouble with a few songs. Also getting an error message that says the song is no eligible for the icloud. Really weird because one album I got from iTunes!

Nov 16, 2011 3:22 AM in response to garglephlumpian

garglephlumpian wrote:

Try removing the tracks from iTunes and then re-adding them. Also try converting them to MP3, delete the other version in iTunes and then trying adding them to iCloud. A combination of this worked for me.

I tried removing, and then adding back a few songs. No success. As afr as covretting the songs to MP3 format, I will try that with one or two songs, and see if that works.

I don't think we should have to jump through so many hoops to get this service to work...

I do appreciate your suggestions though. I'll report back as to what happens.

Nov 16, 2011 10:23 AM in response to DCIFRTHS

Just found a solution:

1. Convert songs to .mp3 (even if they are already .mp3, which all of my music is)

2. Delete old version of the songs (in iTunes and iCloud

3. Quit iTunes

4. Open iTunes again, you should now have a cloud with a "!" in it by the songs that had errors before, saying that they were deleted from iCloud, click add to iCloud

5. Enjoy!

This is weird because all of my songs are .mp3's so I don't know why this problem occurred, but this seemed to do the trick for me.

Nov 20, 2011 2:09 AM in response to jaretw

jaretw wrote:

Just found a solution:

1. Convert songs to .mp3 (even if they are already .mp3, which all of my music is)

2. Delete old version of the songs (in iTunes and iCloud

3. Quit iTunes

4. Open iTunes again, you should now have a cloud with a "!" in it by the songs that had errors before, saying that they were deleted from iCloud, click add to iCloud

5. Enjoy!

This is weird because all of my songs are .mp3's so I don't know why this problem occurred, but this seemed to do the trick for me.

Step two in your instructions is the key to making this work - at lease in my case. Your solutiuon worked for me, and I have marked it as the correct solution. Thanks!

Nov 24, 2011 11:05 AM in response to DCIFRTHS

I've just run into this problem after finally completing the looooooong upload of all of my "unknown" tracks. I have 70 such '!' tracks, very annoying.

I'm not onboard with the proposed "convert MP3 to MP3" solution for two reasons:

1. If I'm not mistaken, doing this will reduce the quality of those tracks. After all, you're converting a lossy file to another lossy file, so even if your new file is 320 kbps, you're inherently losing *some* degree of sound quality.

2. Many of these tracks are already in various playlists, so unless I want to remove all of them from those lists, I have to individually re-add the newly converted tracks to every list. There's an hour of my life that I'll never get back.

I'm all for a seamless work-around, but this ain't it. Fingers crossed that an iTunes update with more inclusive importing is on the way.

Nov 30, 2011 7:48 AM in response to John Pelura III

I'm still stuck - maybe I'm missing something, but when I right click on the files that did not match, I do NOT see an option to convert them either to AAC or MP3 - I do see an option to convert to AIFF. However, when I do this, I get a message saying some files are protected and cannot be converted. I have about 400 files that did not match (reading other posts this seems like a magic number for the number of files not matching). Almost all of these - maybe all of them - were bought from i-tunes. So what gives? And I need some advice about converting them - what am I missing - I have looked carefully down the pop=up menu when I right click, but do not see options for MP3 or AAC as said, and then I am prevented from converting anyway. And the test file I'm working on is actually just one from an album in which other files matched without problem - and were bought from i-tunes....

thanks for any advice

Nov 30, 2011 7:55 AM in response to francis154

to get the "Convert to MP3 Dialog" go to iTunes (in menu bar) > preferences. Under the general section, near the bottom (about 80% down) there is a button that says "Import Settings". Click that and then at the top there is a drop down box that says "import using:" and choose "MP3 Encoder." Then when you right click on a song you will have the option to convert to MP3. I hope this helps.

Also, I connected my computer directly (via ethernet) to my Airport Extreme (before, I had it connected to airport express that was connecting to my airport extreme, then distributing that internet through ethernet to my computer) and clicked on "update iCloud." All of my songs uploaded without a problem. weird

This item was not added to iCloud because an error occurred.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.