Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match Not Working For Some Protected AAC Files

I purchased Itunes Match and used it to upload ~12,000 songs to ICloud

There are about 40 songs that won't upload. I checked the info on them and they are all Protected AAC audiofile formats for Itunes accounts other than my ICloud account name. I used to have a different Itunes Store ID and switched to a .Mac name when I got Mobileme.

However, many of the songs I bought with the old ID HAVE uploaded fine. It appears that it may just be the ones that are called "protected AAC files" that don't upload?

I checked that many of my more recent purchases are called "Purchased AAC" in the "Get Info" summary section of the song.

Is there a workaround available to get these "Protected AAC files" for my old Itunes Store account uploaded?

I checked that some of the songs are still available for purchase on Itunes although some of them are not available anymore. I'm not sure if that could be part of the issue either.

thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, Itunes Match

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:51 PM

20 replies

Nov 17, 2011 9:58 PM in response to zbbeck

Exactly the same here: around 13000 songs to upload, most worked fine, but around 50 or so show up as not eligible. In my case, about half of those are old VBR mp3 rips that are showing up as 64 kbps, so not satisfying Apple's (arbitrary) 96 kbps limit. But the other half are Protected AAC audiofiles.

Just like with you, zbbeck, I purchased those songs using an old apple id. The funny thing is, is that it is apparently quite random: one track out of an entire album is marked not eligible, while the rest are fine (and certainly downloaded with the same apple ID).

Actually, one thing the tracks do appear to have in common, is that they are often the last track of a 'delux edition' or an obscure e.p. Another thing is that I bought them in Europe when I still lived there. Maybe the tracks are not available in the US iTunes store?

With the low-bit-rate VBR rips, I could find my old CDs and resample them, or convert them to AAC's and use the match functionality. But I can't do any such thing with Apple's Protected AAC files!

@dbaps: guess again - I have several hundred Protected AAC's that were matched fine.

Nov 20, 2011 6:11 PM in response to zbbeck

zbbeck wrote:

How can I tell? It gets in there, but I can't tell if it matched it to the store or uploaded it. It sounds fine no noticeable difference of degredation. I actually don't see how it would degrade by copying it to a CD and importng back.

In iTunes, go to View, then View Options and then check the box for iCloud Status. You should then see a column that shows either "Matched" or "Uploaded."

I'm in the same boat here as most of you... I have 15 songs (thankfully) out of 8,800+ that are showing as ineligible and were purchased with other Apple IDs, which are all authorized on the matching/uploading machine. In every case there are other songs from the same albums as the songs showing as "ineligible" that are on iTunes match just fine. Contacting Apple support was almost laughable. It's very clear that the support for iTunes Match is limited at best, as the support advisor wasn't even aware that you could include songs purchased with different authorized Apple IDs in your iTunes match library. Just FYI for everyone, support article TS4504 actually provides instructions on how to do this, but offers no solutions for when the item shows as ineligible. I'm going to give zbbeck's workaround a go and if he/she doesn't beat me to it, I'll report back with the results on "Matched" or "Uploaded."

Nov 20, 2011 6:47 PM in response to jspeciner

Ok... So - of the 15 songs that were previously "ineligible," I deleted two because they were actually music videos (which should still be included, according to TS4054) and I never, ever watch them. That left 13, which I burned to a CD and re-imported back into my iTunes library... The good news is that this did work and all of the songs are now in my iTunes match library (thank you zbbeck!). The bad news is that 10 out of the 13 were "Uploaded" and the other three were "Matched." For now, I'd rather have the songs in my iTunes Match library than not, even if they are at a less than optimal quality. I'm thinking that there are some kinks to work out yet with Match, obviously, and eventually the songs will become "Matched" as opposed to "Uploaded." As I go through my library I'll notice randomly that whole albums will be "Matched" with one or two songs "Uploaded." That seems like a bug in the matching process to me, because those same full albums are available in the iTunes Store.

Nov 21, 2011 6:42 AM in response to jspeciner

Thanks for posting your findings.

As for me, I have given up on iTunes Match. Too many glitches/ommisions to make it usable for me:

1. The issue in this thread

2. Tracks turning up on my iPhone with wrong album art/track info (_really_ annoying this one... you think you're playing one thing and another track starts playing instead.)

3. Lack of Genius support - I use this around 50% of the time when I'm on the go

4. Lack of playcount + last played updates (none of the tracks I've played using iTunes match have shown up in my 'recently played' lists. I use this and play counts a lot in smart playlists.)

5. Lack of support for smart playlists refering to other playlists - I use this feature an awful lot

6. Lack of 'direct' syncing - downloading 40GB of music via the cloud doesn't make sense - I think Apple should provide a hybrid model, direct wifi syncing when you're at home, iCloud when you're on the go

I could also add: no support for multiple libraries, but that's not a deal-breaker.

It seems that iTunes Match was released prematurely; hopefully the next update will addres these teething problems. For now, I'm going back to old-fashioned wifi syncing.

Nov 28, 2011 8:56 AM in response to zbbeck

Maybe this will be a clue for someone: I have a couple of albums that were purchased years ago from iTunes with an old Apple ID and everything on them matches except for a single song.

For example, the album "The Best of Blondie" matched everything except for track 5, "Sunday Girl" which is "Not Eligible". In the case of Paul Simon's "Negotiations and Love Songs" everything on the album matched except "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes".

Now, granted, neither of these songs are in heavy rotation for me right now so I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker for iTunes Match, but it does seem to indicate something's wrong somewhere.

Nov 28, 2011 10:11 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael Allbritton wrote:

If you have songs in your library that are protected by DRM, and were purchased from a different iTunes Store account than the one you are signed in with those songs are ineligible for iTunes Match <http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4054>.

Michael, unless I'm missing something, nothing in TS4504 says anything about songs in a library protected by DRM purchased from a different iTunes Store account being ineligible for iTunes Match. The only thing that comes close is the statement saying that "A song will not be uploaded to iCloud if the song contains DRM, was purchased using a different Apple ID, and could not be matched." But that's not even the issue I think most people are referring to... To make it real simple: if a two song album was purchased from iTunes a while back using a different Apple ID than the one used for iTunes Match, and the album is still available in the iTunes Store, one song is being matched just fine in iTunes Match and the other is showing as ineligible.

At the heart of the issue is that TS4504 in fact actually provides instructions on how to authorize machines for playback of DRM protected songs purchased with different accounts that are in one's iTunes Match library, inferring that those songs would be there in the first place, meaning they shouldn't be ineligible. The problem is that so far iTunes match is treating those songs, even from the same album, differently - ie. some work and match fine and others say that they're ineligible.

iTunes Match Not Working For Some Protected AAC Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.