Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get correct aspect ratio? Hi-8 transfer

I am Importing through a Datavideo box but cannot get the aspect ratio correct No matter how I set the project I get a 4:3 aspect rather than 16:9.

I don't have the problem in IMovie HD. When I open new project inImovie it asks for standard or widescreen and mports correctly.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 10:30 PM

21 replies

Nov 16, 2011 7:16 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Really? For some reason, I always thought it was the other way around.

Either way, Hi8 is 4:3. But I think there may have been some cameras that did letterbox, or maybe I'm thinking of some MiniDV cameras. But I thought all they did was put black bars above and below the 4:3 image. I didn't think they recorded the squeezed image.

Does the OP really need to import the Hi8 video in 16:9?

Nov 16, 2011 9:35 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Outputs from Sony EV-S7000 "S" plus l/r audio into datavideo DAC-2 Firewire out. Using camera import.

When I go to camera import in IMovie HD, when I create a new project it asks if I want to import DV in either DV or DV WIDESCREEN.

DV Widescreen is the correct ratio and It works, but I want to do the same thing in FCPX It may not be 16:9 but it cretainly isn't 4:3.

The picture i get in DV widescreen on IMovieHD is correct, but if I try to camera import the same tape into FCPX It would make Kate Moss look like Jabba the Hut.

I have tried almost every permutation of aspect and resolution in FCPX and cannot get it right.

Nov 16, 2011 10:22 AM in response to richardfrommissoula

There is only 16:9 or 4:3, nothing else until you get to film formats. The EV-S7000 is a deck. That doesn't say anything about the media. What shot it? As 1 Open Loop said almost all Hi8 camera shoot 4:3 or have a letterbox option, which is 4:3 letterboxed.

If your camera shot anamorphic, you import through the DAC converter. Does that work? Create a project that's DV anamorphic. Edit the clip into it. Check the spatial conform options. The DAC is almost certainly not sending any flag that the media is anamorphic, so you may have to do this manually.

Nov 16, 2011 11:55 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I have gone into the properties and sert for 720x480 anamorphic No matter how I set the video properties, all I ever get is 720x 480.

Is there a Preferences file that needs to be tossed to allow any different resolution?

I guess I will just have to use Imovie HD for the import because at least the picture looks right.

On the "import project" for IMovie HD

It states that DV widescreen is the same as DV except that DV widescreen is 16:9 not 4:3

Whe Camera was a Canon Hi-8 A1, but it no longer works which is why I am using the Sony.

Nov 16, 2011 12:45 PM in response to richardfrommissoula

First, all DV NTSC is always 720x480. It can be 4:3 or it can be anamorphically squeezed into the 720x480 window.

Let's get this straight, you make a new project and set it to DV anamrophic and the project opens and with the Timeline open the Viewer is 4:3 and not widescreen? Is that what you're saying?

What happens when you put a clip into the Timeline? Maybe post some screenshots.

iMovie works with DV in a different format that's not used in FCP.

P.S. Are you setting the spatial conform for the clips? If there is no anamorphic flag you'll have to change it manually. You should be able to batch change them in the browser.

Message was edited by: Tom Wolsky

Nov 16, 2011 9:17 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I posted screen shots of each step I took.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoda8945

I downloaded the file from the camera to an event.

I created a new Project in 720x480 anamorphic

I went to timeline and the file is no not anamorphic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoda8945

I a now starting to understand how this anamorphic thing works. It can stay at 4:3, but at some point I need 16:9.

How do I batch change in the browser? I don't find anything about an anamorphic flag.

Nov 17, 2011 4:17 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

This doesn't look right.

Shouldn't an anomorphic SD video look the opposite?

The black bars should be top and bottom, not side by side.

On an SD TV it will get vertically squished to have the proper aspect ratio and properly letterboxed, top and bottom.

On an HD TV it will get horizontally expanded and fill the 16:9 screen, no letterbox.

This video is in a 720x480 frame. But it has black bars left and right and the image is stretched vertically. It needs to be expanded horizontally to correct the apsect ration, which will only fill the screen, no letterbox.

How to get correct aspect ratio? Hi-8 transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.