Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Lion User Application folder missing.

Trying to install an application soley for a user in OS X Lion. Although I don't have an "Applications" folder in my user folder. Did they take this option out of Lion or am I missing something here?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 1:57 PM

12 replies

Nov 16, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Even in Snow Leopard? Weird because I could have sworn I had two applications folders in 10.6. The reason I am doing this is to create the application from using any root folders. From what I understand, if you install to the user then the app uses the application support folders of the user, rather than root. Just so I can keep my standard installation clean, and so if I delete the user then all that I did with those apps is deleted as well. Am I wrong? Thanks.

Nov 2, 2012 1:31 PM in response to Alex Zavatone

Well, I looked around and looked in my other user folders on several 10.6.8 boxes and the Applications folder is there in many users, but not for all, so this leads me to think that this is a supported folder, but an optional one.

Still looking in to it to see what the complete scoop is.

Edit:

AHA! Many times when we run an installer, the Apple approved installer allows you to install an application for just one user, or for all users on the system. That's how this gets created.

The user specific Applications folder is a standard and supported folder, but an optiopnal one, even though Apple's docs neglect mentioning it.

OSX Lion User Application folder missing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.