Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create, and send a group email on my iPhone?

How do I create, and send a group email from my iPhone 4?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 7:52 AM

30 replies

Nov 18, 2011 5:13 AM in response to jellikit

Hi,

You will need an app from the App Store to do this, and there are several available.

We developed "MailShot Pro" which is the only app on the store that turns those groups into special contacts that you can email from all your favorite apps, as though the feature was built in. It also lets you forward email, with attachments, to a group and it is also the only group email app you can use from Siri.

You can import a group you created in OSX with a few taps, selecting which email addresses to use for each contact in the group if they have more than one address. (Not all group apps allow you to do that, either, the simpler ones send to all known addresses for all contacts in the group)

Hope this helps

Peter

Soluble Apps

Disclosure: I am the developer of MailShot Pro and may receive benefit from its sale.

Feb 8, 2012 9:42 AM in response to jellikit

@jellikit: I had the same problem. So if you are still working on it, here's what I did:

First thing I did was create an Email Group in iCloud - very easy to do. Just name the group, and drag names from your Contacts into it. If you want to add a name that is not already in your Contacts, you have to add the name into your Contacts first, then drag it into the Email Group. The names you drag in, will also remain in your Contacts.

Since you cannot send a group email from your iPhone 4 (even though your group will ineed be listed in your Contacts), I downloaded the free app "Groups". Now, when I want to send out a group email, I do it through the "Groups" app. Easy!

Apple techs: Why do we have to download an app in order to send a group email? Can we do something about that??

Nov 27, 2012 12:01 PM in response to jellikit

You can create groups on iPhone, but you cannot select the group as email recipient natively. Easy Group is a free application I created to send group emails quickly and easily.

Hope it helps,

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy-group/id461469079

Rémi

Note: As I am Easy Group developper, I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise,from my recommendation or link.

Feb 8, 2013 6:48 AM in response to jellikit

wow the app groups is wonderful, and FREE! sorry Gamerpete, but feel like i'd rather get the app free instead of pay for a feature we all need.

i'm starting to see why lots of my friends are switching to Android. I'm actually starting to think about it with my next upgrade. Buy i love the app Groups. thx vanbaelou.

Aug 25, 2013 6:52 AM in response to Community User

I actually made the switch about a month and a half ago. Galaxy S4, and I love it. There are definitely some things that I miss because Apple does so many things well. But, there are other things that seem like no brainers, like the group email situation, that boggle the mind. My workaround when I was using an iPhone was to switch over to GMAIL. when I used gmail from my iPhone, if memory serves me correctly, I was able to send emails to groups. I imagine that there is a reason why this isn't possible with iPhones, maybe a reason beyond my paygrade. Oh well. Glad the app worked for you. (I'm researching this because I was trying to help a woman at my church add a group to her email...and I was embarrassed for not knowing how to do it...and now I realize..it's not my fault....it's Apple's fault!

Aug 25, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Maddlines

You can't send group email from the Gmail app, I'm afraid.

Even our own MailShot app, which builds group email directly into Mail and thousands of other compatible apps, will not work reliably enough from the Gmail app for us to recommend using it instead of Mail for group email.

No other group email app we know of will send from the Gmail app reliably, either.

(* You can still send using a GMail account with MailShot and the Mail app, just not via the Gmail app.)

Peter

Soluble

Disclosure: I am the developer of MailShot and may benefit from its sale.

Find out more about MailShot at http://solubleapps.com/MailShot

Sep 18, 2013 8:58 AM in response to jellikit

How to send group email without additional APP

Just spent an hour on ichat. Long and short....can't send group email. The group name appears in the TO: line, but if you click on the group name, only the first email address is blue..the rest are black and will not get the email. We tired using the CC and BC lines...same result.

However here is one solution:

I sent one email with each of the group (we are only 9 ) in the TO: line. I included my primary email. When it came to the iphone, i moved it to one of the subfolders. (Each account you may have has a list of the inbox at the top and Account at the bottom. ... that is where you can access the subfolder)

I moved the email with all names to that subfolder. I can then, open it ...do a relpy to all and just change the message and subject line. It is cumbersome, but it does work. I really think Apple, a company committed to ease of use, needs to review this flaw. I suspect it may be a bandwidth economy .... and i feel the pain of the providers...but you did create the beast. 😉

Jan 16, 2014 12:55 PM in response to jellikit

You can send group e-mails on your iPhone or iPad, you just have to use the right formatting to input the e-mail addresses in your contact list.

What I did: I made a contact list in my gmail account, addressed an e-mail to the list, then cut the addresses out and pasted them into the body of the e-mail. This formatted the e-mail addresses correctly without me typing everything out. I sent the e-mail with the list in the body to myself. The format you need looks like this:

"name one" <blahname1@mail.com>, "name two" <blahname2@mail.com>,

you put the person's name in " " and the email in < > then separate each person with a comma.

The trick: Copy the names from the e-mail you sent yourself, and copy it in a new contact in your Contact.app on your iPhone, or MAC. Do not use the group contact, just a regular individual contact. Paste all the e-mails into the one e-mail space. Type the name of the group into the Company space, and you are done.

To send an e-mail to the group, just type the Group name into the To: field and your iPhone will think it is a company and fill in all the addresses. The key is to separate them with commas.

How do I create, and send a group email on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.