Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

acwebsecagent: Connection : Auth key is not provided, bypassing towers. CMode : 2 TMode : 0

I am getting a lot of these errors in the Console. It may mean nothing (and looking there is like staring into a dark deep abyss for me: VERTIGO)

11/19/11 10:55:26.417 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : NULL license/public key provided

11/19/11 10:55:26.417 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : Auth key is not provided, bypassing towers. CMode : 2 TMode : 0

11/19/11 10:55:28.758 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : NULL license/public key provided

11/19/11 10:55:28.758 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : Auth key is not provided, bypassing towers. CMode : 2 TMode : 0

11/19/11 10:55:31.431 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : NULL license/public key provided

11/19/11 10:55:31.431 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : Auth key is not provided, bypassing towers. CMode : 2 TMode : 0

11/19/11 10:55:44.727 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : NULL license/public key provided

11/19/11 10:55:44.727 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : Auth key is not provided, bypassing towers. CMode : 2 TMode : 0

11/19/11 10:55:48.208 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : NULL license/public key provided

11/19/11 10:55:48.208 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : Auth key is not provided, bypassing towers. CMode : 2 TMode : 0

11/19/11 10:55:48.413 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : NULL license/public key provided

11/19/11 10:55:48.413 AM acwebsecagent: Connection : Auth key is not provided, bypassing towers. CMode : 2 TMode : 0

Does this mean something?

(I recently played around with rSync and wonder if it is related to that.

thanks

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:00 AM

18 replies

Dec 8, 2011 11:18 AM in response to jinet

Let me PS this:

To uninstall, try

sudo /opt/cisco/vpn/bin/vpn_uninstall.sh

If that fails, reinstall, then run this command in Terminal.

Then reinstall, but uncheck all but the VPN client (the three other boxes should be unchecked): these are the culprits, along with Back to My Mac.

Once you do this, the errors will disappear.

Oct 10, 2012 10:32 AM in response to Spencer Swift

Not sure that is it:

JIPs-MacBook-Air:~ jport$ sudo /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/websecurity_uninstall.sh

Password:

Uninstalling Cisco AnyConnect Web Security Module...

mv: rename /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/plugins/libacwebsecapi.dylib to /opt/cisco/anyconnect/libacwebsecapi.dylib: No such file or directory

mv: rename /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/plugins/libacwebsecctrl.dylib to /opt/cisco/anyconnect/libacwebsecctrl.dylib: No such file or directory

Successfully removed Cisco AnyConnect Web Security Module from the system.

JIPs-MacBook-Air:~ jport$

Not sure how it could remove what it never found!

But the acwebsecagent error appears to have vanished, at least for now (before this attempt at uninstalling); hadn't checked recently but it's not in the logs

What IS appearing is this

10/10/12 8:51:11.533 AM acvpnagent[100]: Function: InitNSS File: Certificates/NSSCertUtils.cpp Line: 400 Invoked Function: getProfilePath Return Code: -31391739 (0xFE210005) Description: CERTSTORE_ERROR_NULL_POINTER

Is that related?

Oct 10, 2012 1:23 PM in response to jinet

Seems like the web security agent was somehow removed previously for you.

"acvpnagent" is definitely another part of Cisco AnyConnect VPN, but I don't think the message is directly related.

Not much to go on, but from the messages above, it seems you might have only a partially installed AnyConnect client now. Have you done a Mountain Lion ugprade since your original post? If so, that might have removed some of the pieces of AnyConnect. Pure conjecture on my part though.

Regardless, your console is quiet which is all I was seeking.

Oct 10, 2012 5:27 PM in response to jinet

Wow, a big "me too" here. I was having a ton of problems with peformance in Chrome that made it look like my Internet had died, but pings and other tests would work perfectly. I'd switch the Safari and it would sometimes kinda work, othertime not.

I ran the websecurity_unistall.sh script and the errors have gone away, and SO FAR my browsers are working perfectly.

As a side rant, why would this even be installed by default in the first place? This seems like an opt-in / admin installation thing if you have a license that supports it, not something that sits in the critical path of your web requests only to fail a license test and sometimes get stuck. AND way too much use of 'cloud' in one sentence for security software 🙂..

User uploaded file

Nov 26, 2012 5:33 PM in response to jinet

Had the exact same problem - did a "default" AnyConnect install a few weeks back for one of my jobs, found out I wouldn't actually need to use it until January, so I just left it there. Shortly thereafter, noticed horrible performance in web browsers, especially if I was trying to open several pages at once. (Well, yes, something that's trying to screen all the web content would cause that.) FINALLY decided to look at my logs after checking various other things, and bam, acwebsecagent all over the place. Thanks to Spencer and Matt, I uninstalled, reinstalled JUST the parts I actually needed, and am a happy camper again.

Jul 25, 2013 10:16 AM in response to jinet

I had problems with my Mac where the Internet would just stop working in OS X 10.8.4 - after finding this article I installed Little Snitch and found that the acwebsecagent VPN client responsible for the problems. Despite the fact that I was not logged into the VPN this software was actively routing all my Internet access through it's process, which must have been terribly inefficient because as noted my Internet would just stop working.

acwebsecagent: Connection : Auth key is not provided, bypassing towers. CMode : 2 TMode : 0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.