Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my music will not sync

my music will not sync to my itunes

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 8:38 AM

20 replies

Jan 18, 2012 12:48 PM in response to greg1984

I have an iPhone 4 and have backed it up before updating to the new version iOS 5.0.1, my apps have gone bac on the phone and my photos and videos never went off but all my music i have purchased on my phone and computer are not on my phone. I have over 500 songs that have gone off my phone and i am really angry because everyone is saying to sync the iphone again, unplug it and plug it back in but THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!! I have gone onto my itunes app and gone to purchased and all the music is showing there but saying the music i bought on my phone is already there when CLEARLY IT'S NOT!! The only songs that it is letting me re-download are the songs off my iTouch which i don't want on my phone. I just need someone to let me know if they are having or had the same problem and can please let me know what steps to take. Many Thanks. 🙂

Jan 29, 2012 9:34 AM in response to pvonk

I am not able to sync all mu music. part of it syncs to my iphone 4 but part of it is greyed out on the phone. I was using auto sync but changed to manual and selected all. i have backed up, synced, unplugged nand tried again with same result. the songs that are greyed out have not moved on my computer and i have never had a problem with them before.any suggestions?

Oct 12, 2012 6:26 AM in response to greg1984

Ok everyone, I was in the same boat and after reading your posts and other sites, I came up with this process.

1. Deselect all sync to music. You will need to double check that all artist, albums and any manual music selects are unchecked and removed (Note: manual portion is near the bottom of the page.
  2. Deselect and insure all books and audio books are removed.
  3. Drop the firewall (One person I read about said this fixed it for him, not sure though)
  4. Sync the phone to insure all has been removed from the phone (Photos are ok, do not worry about them).
  5. Eject the phone, count to 20, then plug it in again. Check the phone to insure all the music is still not on the phone.
  6. Restore the phone (When it asks you about to establish the phone with your (iphone name) or as a new phone, select your iphone name.
  7. After the phone has been restored, eject it, count to 20 and plug it in again. Double check that all music is still not on the phone.
  8. Run one sync (with no music selected) and see if any music went on the phone. (There should be no music on the phone still)
  9. Eject the phone, count to 20 then plug it back in.
  10. Now go to the music section and select your music. As you select, in the upper right hand corner of the page is a counter that counts the number of songs you have selected, watch that number.
  11. Click the sync button and watch at the top of the itunes page at the status bar. the number after the of word should match what you have selected. If it has then you music will synce with the phone.

12 After confirming this, get your firewall back up.

Now you are right, it is a **** of a procedure but it worked for me. I do not know at this point what process was not needed (firewall, removing of the books, etc) All I can tell you is that this process worked for me. Going forward I am not sure of the process for other elements as well (movies, newly created playlists, etc). I would advise input from all who try this because it seems to me that Apple has missed some serious QA testing in regards to their latest phone.

my music will not sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.