Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shutter Sound?

At completely random moments my MacBook Pro 5,1 makes the shutter sound like a screenshot. My password_one software makes the exact same noise. I am not engaging either the Mac for a screenshot or the password software. There is no regularity to the sound: not when waking up, or opening lid or closing it, etc. Odd and worrisome. I have searched many times for an answer but have never found one, thus my query to you all. Any ideas on how to determine why the sound happens? THX so much.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 6:16 PM

Is it a shutter sound, or the keychain lock/unlock sound?

There was a problem where an out-of-date version of 1password would cause the keychain to lock and unlock with great regularity.

17 replies

Nov 27, 2011 9:19 AM in response to kalervo

I'd be interested what happens. I don't think it is just the effect itself. The sound effect of the shutter only happens, as I understand it, when something is activatated, like the screen shot or my password program. So, the worry is that something is happening besides the effect that I have not initiatated. That seems worrisome. Any other answers out there?

Dec 4, 2011 5:58 PM in response to J_GA

I think you are mistaken.

I think the sound you are hearing is the keychain lock/unlock sound, as I tried to diplomatically suggest before. Now being diplomatic is out the window, and I am willing to sound like a real jerk if it gets you on the right path..

Open Keychain Access (from the Utilities folder), lock and unlock a keychain, and listen. I am convinced that is the sound you are hearing.

Now take a screen shot with Command Shift 3. The sound is similar, but not the same.

Dec 4, 2011 8:36 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

I'd suggest that you be a bit more careful about being a ********* in these forums.

You simply never know who you are talking to, no?

You have confused the problem described, which is an easy one, so at the risk of being a jerk about it, let me explain it so you can understand it:

No one disputes that the sound is the identical to the keychain sound. The problem is that this exact sound is also triggered at other times other your precious key chain theory. I can initiate the sound for Key Chain, 1Password, screenshots. The mystery is that the sound randomly happens (that means without regularity). 1Password is current, etc. In my layman's world it seems creepy that a possible screenshot is being taken (though it might not be taken). E.g., (this means "for example"), today it happened when I closed the lid, which is rare.

Us Dumbies are asking you Smarty Pants what this could be. Are we clear?

May you set us on the right path.

Sincerely,

Jon

Dec 5, 2011 6:52 AM in response to J_GA

No one disputes that the sound is the identical to the keychain sound.

You insist the screen capture sound and the keychain lock/unlock sound are identical.

I insist they are different. I am also convinced that:

• Your problems have nothing to do with screen capture.

• other users with this problem are also running 1password.

• Your problems have Everything to do with 1password, as we saw a simular remarkaby vexing problem earlier this year that was fixed by fixing 1password.

Dec 5, 2011 12:20 PM in response to J_GA

Look at the simple facts:

1. You are running 1Password.
  2. You are hearing a sound effect that is caused by keychain access.
  3. Programs like 1Password, LastPass, Espionage, etc. lock and unlock keychains regularly.
  4. One of the instances you mention occurred when you closed your laptop's lid (ie., induced a Sleep state). Keychains are often closed upon Sleep.

Now, which of the following two possibilities has a greater likelihood:

1. What you are hearing is the sound of 1Password performing keychain-related actions. OR...
  2. Some mysterious hacker has rooted your Mac and is taking screenshots, at random times.

I don't think Grant was being a "**********" at all in his responses. He provided you with the most likely explanation, and I would be willing to bet on the same exact explanation myself.

If you really want to prove any of this wrong, instead of simply insisting that 1Password is up-to-date, try actually uninstalling 1Password, and see if the behavior persists. If you do that, and it continues, then you have the right to insist that 1Password is not the problem. But please employ methodological troubleshooting.

Oct 21, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Kojoman

Sorry to botter but have the same problem, out of nowhere sound like a screenshot, i dont use none of does programs you guys mention before, so it couldn't be that, the screenshot sound its always at anytime, its not with some determine action, in addition, my computer make sound, actually its like someone scream "Gooooooaaaaaal" very loud, and also in random time, somedays its very often somedays is just like 2 or 3 times, but please help me, how can i fixed that, and by the way im using a Macbook pro retina 13", thanks

Shutter Sound?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.