Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough memory to upgrade from snow leopard to lion...

I just installed OSX Snow Leopard and tried to upgrade to Lion. Unfortunately I am getting an error message saying that I don't have enough memory!?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 5:49 PM

So if you want to get to Lion install additional RAM.

Allan

21 replies

Nov 26, 2011 8:07 AM in response to Kappy

Appreciate all the responses - I just find it hard to believe that I don't have enough RAM! I don't do much memory demanding activity other than upload video and photos. Plus in order to upgrade to Lion I had to first upgrade to Snow Leopard - wonder if Snow Leopard is taking up all the memory...how annoying.

I am looking myself but can you tell me how to check available memory?

Thank you!

Nov 26, 2011 3:54 PM in response to daynasf

What is it you were hoping to do with iCloud exactly? I have been using MobileMe for awhile and iCloud doesn't really offer an improvements over that service, but even with MobileMe being discontinued there are lots of third party solutions which can probably do what you need iCloud for. DropBox comes to mind.

As to the memory issue in particular: don't confuse memory with storage. Storage is a measure of what your hard drive (or solid state drive) can hold, is probably in the range of 100GB to 1TB, and gets used up by applications and files permenantly unless they are deleted from your computer. Memory refers to your RAM, which is used up temporarily by various applications while they are running, and then later relinquished (if all is operating properly) when the program is quit. From what you've said it sounds like you probably have 1GB of memory and it would cost in the neighborhood of $50 to upgrade to 2GB. This will have the effect of speeding up your computer for many tasks, and will allow you to install Lion.

But if your computer is old enough that it only has 1GB of RAM, and the only thing you want Lion for is iCloud, I would probably just stick with Snow Leopard and look for a third party replacement for iCloud.

Nov 26, 2011 4:09 PM in response to daynasf

daynasf wrote:

I wouldn't care, in fact would have stayed with previous OS except that I was hoping to use iCloud which I'm told only functions with Lion :-(

You still have not specified how much memory you have, posted the error report or mentioned anything about even trying to address your issue. If you don't have enough memory, that is it. You need to install more. Not just for Leopard but for a lot of othere programs around that are very demanding on memory. I would be maxing your computer out on the RAM side, given how cheap it is these days. But as we still don't know how much you have and how much you can install, then there is not much else to tell you.

Good Luck

Not enough memory to upgrade from snow leopard to lion...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.