Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using migration assistant can i choose which applications to transfer?

I want to migrate from an iMac running Lion to a Macbook Air running Lion but I don't want to transfer all applications or all data. Can I choose which applications to transfer and which data?

IMac intel 3/09, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, iPod Touch 3G

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 7:03 AM

You can choose, but this depends on the method you plan to use. Normally, you should have a backup somewhere, and you should also use a backup app, if you don’t, you should begin to use one. Time Machine is the Apple solution. I prefer iBackup, but there are others too, I guess (write something like ‘backup’ in the search filed of macupdate.com). This mainly refers to system settings and files.

Applications have a different status. Apple apps are installed with the system, others cannot be simply moved, they require an installer, the same is valid for other non-Apple apps. Many apps may be moved from one place to another without reinstalling them, you know this according to the method of installation, if upon installing them you must just move them to applications folder, then you do not need any installer, you can copy them to any other location in almost all the cases (very few apps require Applications folder, and only that folder).

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2011 7:03 AM in response to julius soter1

You can choose, but this depends on the method you plan to use. Normally, you should have a backup somewhere, and you should also use a backup app, if you don’t, you should begin to use one. Time Machine is the Apple solution. I prefer iBackup, but there are others too, I guess (write something like ‘backup’ in the search filed of macupdate.com). This mainly refers to system settings and files.

Applications have a different status. Apple apps are installed with the system, others cannot be simply moved, they require an installer, the same is valid for other non-Apple apps. Many apps may be moved from one place to another without reinstalling them, you know this according to the method of installation, if upon installing them you must just move them to applications folder, then you do not need any installer, you can copy them to any other location in almost all the cases (very few apps require Applications folder, and only that folder).

Dec 3, 2011 10:15 AM in response to julius soter1

So:

1. Basic Apple applications are installed with the system.

2. Additional Apple apps e.g. those in iLife, need an installer, the same is valid for iWork suite.

So, even if you copy them, most of them will ask for reinstalling, and those specific in SL will not work in Lion.

So do not copy apps by this method, all apps, which do not require an installer may be kept somewhere, these are the apps, which may be simply copied somewhere and may run on any partition.

Dec 3, 2011 11:17 AM in response to julius soter1

I answered that the long way, so you may understand: no, ou cannot do that but you should NOT do that even if you could, because apps should never be transfered that way. First, because some cannot be moved that way, others because, if moved, display errors.

But the idea of moving apps in the suggested way is an error from the beginning.

But, indeed, you may move apps, your prefered apps, which were installed by simply moving them. I have many such apps, which do not require installation (Nisus, Mellel, UKELELE etc. etc.), but never Apple apps.

And, to be very clear: Migration Assistant migrate settings and files, not apps, from the reasons above.

Feb 29, 2012 12:49 AM in response to julius soter1

Hello, I have a follow up question, sorry, I just want to make sure:

I'm not sure what you call it but what about my settings in application like Picasa, Addres/Contacts, Mail, etc? Where do they reside?

If I did not include applications in the migration, then reinstall them on the new system, will I still have my Picasa albums, photo tags, ..email settings, etc?

Thanks!

Feb 29, 2012 1:02 AM in response to ervzman

To be clear: applications create various files or store databases, which are independent of applications proper. For example, if you backup your data and settings in view of a new install by erasing the disk, you must not save applications, most of them are anyway installed by default together with the system, e.g. Mail, Safari, Address Book and the rest of the Apple basic set.

Therefore, a good backup saves your files, database and settings, not applications, unless they are 3rd party apps, which you wish to keep. Note that some apps require to run their installer, you cannot save them by moving from one location to another. For these apps, only cloning the partition solves the issue, but in some instances this is not necessary or even recommended.

As a thumb rule, all your files, databases and settings are within your login name, not elsewhere. Desktop files are also there in the folder labelled Desktop, settings in various locations of the Library (at the user level, not the /Library or /System/Library).

Feb 29, 2012 9:47 PM in response to ervzman

Well, difficult to give a general recommendation but any time I want to reinstall the system I do it by erase-and-install method in order to eliminate all possible errors due to corrupt files or older, outdated applications. Many new users of Lion complain about problems mainly due to these outdated apps often running in the background, because they simply upgraded from SL, which is the default way to install Lion.

Before doing this step, be sure you have backed up your daa and settings, and that you have a copy of all your apps or, if downloadable and only serial number is needed, that you have this at hand. My favorite backup app is iBackup (grapefruit.ch), not TM or else. Before any further step, get familiar with a backup app, any, so that you feel comfortable to restore your settings, first of all, these are the most sensitive. All other files may be saved by drag and drop. Remember that all your settings and files are at the user level.

Apr 18, 2015 9:16 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear also. I didn't see anyway of picking and choosing applications in migration assistant. So if I want to pick and choose I will need to copy the applications over the network or other means.

Some applications I might need to go to their internet web site enter the serial number key and download the DMG file and double-click the package to reinstall. Some I can just straight copy. Probably applications from the Apple Store would be easy copies but I'm not 100% sure about that. Not sure about the pro applications like Final Cut X or Logic Pro X etc.

Oh I see you answered that question just below NEVER APPLE Apps move with migration assistant...so migration assistant is worthless sounds like?

God I had problems with my old computer (too many apps and I don't know what else and I used migration assistant to copy apps and now I have all the same problems. Egads!) If I get a Mac Pro I'll individually copy the apps I want.

Thanks for the info.

David V.

using migration assistant can i choose which applications to transfer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.