Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete ALL Safari bookmarks?

I am currently using a MacBook Pro with OSX Lion 10.7.2 and Safari 5.1.2 and would like to know how to delete ALL Safari Bookmarks.

User uploaded file

I have selected the various titles under Collections and selected all the bookmarks on the right and deleted these. However, not that there is a Bookmarks section on the left just as there is a Collections section. The bookmarks under this Bookmarks section are the one's I can't seem to delete all of without selecting each individually. I believe these bookmarks might have been what was imported from my PC bookmarks when I converted. However, I would like to be rid of them and there are a lot to remove. It would be very nice if there were a less time consuming way to accomplish this task. I've gone to find this plist file that I've seen mentioned in the support archives and I don't know if I don't understand the structure of Macs well enough but I can not find the plist to remove.

Please help! I don't understand many acronyms and such that responses typically include so if you have a solution for me, please be very specific.

Thanx

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), New to Macs, need specifics!

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 11:15 AM

don't know if I don't understand the structure of Macs well enough but I can not find the plist to remove.

Quit Safari.

Click a clear space on your Desktop. You'll see Finder top left corner of the screen.

From that menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type this in exactly as you see it here: ~/Library/Safari

That will open a Finder window for you.

Move the Bookmarks.plist file to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari.

That should remove all the Bookmarks from Safari.

If you want to re import those Bookmarks at some point, with Safari open, from the menu bar click File > Import Bookmarks.

BTW... when you are searching the Finder there are two libraries. One is root the other is user.

The ~ (Tilde) character represents user: ~/Library

No tilde: /Library is root

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2011 11:15 AM in response to Dos Clarks

don't know if I don't understand the structure of Macs well enough but I can not find the plist to remove.

Quit Safari.

Click a clear space on your Desktop. You'll see Finder top left corner of the screen.

From that menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type this in exactly as you see it here: ~/Library/Safari

That will open a Finder window for you.

Move the Bookmarks.plist file to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari.

That should remove all the Bookmarks from Safari.

If you want to re import those Bookmarks at some point, with Safari open, from the menu bar click File > Import Bookmarks.

BTW... when you are searching the Finder there are two libraries. One is root the other is user.

The ~ (Tilde) character represents user: ~/Library

No tilde: /Library is root

How do I delete ALL Safari bookmarks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.