Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs not playing all the way through.

When playing songs in iTunes, whether bought in iTunes or not, sometimes the song stops playing with 30 seconds left and goes to the next song. Why is this happening and how do i fix it?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 3:49 PM

Im having the same problem. Ive been using itunes for a long time and this is the first time I've ever had this happen. I can see that more of the song remains on the time counter, but it suddenly skips to the next song. How do we solve this?

For me, the only thing new is that I recently transfered this library from my old macbook pro, to my new mac pro desktop.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2011 3:49 PM in response to CrushMan

Im having the same problem. Ive been using itunes for a long time and this is the first time I've ever had this happen. I can see that more of the song remains on the time counter, but it suddenly skips to the next song. How do we solve this?

For me, the only thing new is that I recently transfered this library from my old macbook pro, to my new mac pro desktop.

Feb 26, 2012 2:41 PM in response to CrushMan

I too have used iTunes for years and never had this problem until Dec. 2011. It's only with 5 songs from Adele's 21 album. I've gone to the song info and adjusted the start and stop time on the songs, and I got an extra 3 seconds from one of the songs, so it didn't really help. Has anyone figured this out yet? I keep emailing the support team and all they do is have me re-download the songs....which then proceed to stop playing at the exact same second as my previous downloaded version did. Soooo frustrating! Also, when I try to open the Digital Booklet it says it can't be opened because the file is corrupt or incomplete. I fail to understant why I can't get a file that properly works, and lets me listen to a song until it is acutally finished.

P.S. The same problem continues when I listen to the songs on my iPod.

Mar 7, 2012 6:20 PM in response to CrushMan

SOLVED.

For a purchased song from iTunes that wont play all the way through, I did this:

Deleted the file from iTunes, including iCloud (if you have it)

Went back to trash and removed it to the desktop and re-added it back into iTunes.

File that did play only 1:23 of 3:00 mins now plays all the way through without skipping ahead/cutting off the rest of the song.

Synced re-imported song back to iPod and it plays perfectly. Can't believe this hasnt been figured out yet! Or even Apple support suggesting this.

The hard part is figuring out which songs do this as I only discovered the tracks by random shuffle and thought wth? Why wont it finish playing? Good luck guys. Hope this helps.

Did you notice if the problem was with imported tracks or purchased only tracks? It seems all mine were purchased tracks from the iTunes store with the extension .m4p

Apr 4, 2012 12:38 AM in response to CrushMan

I noticed this happening when I was looking for a particular song. I would play a song and stop it after a few seconds if it wasn't the one I was looking for. Ever since then the song stops at that same place. If I use a playlist it will skip to the next song when it reaches that spot.

It acts like iTunes set some kind of marker at that spot and it's still there.

May 7, 2012 2:12 PM in response to CrushMan

This has clearly been happening for ages as there are quite a few threads here describing it. There goes another short track! Don't know why I bother listening to iTunes except that they are tracks I have just bought on it. Some of the threads go back well into last year so I can only guess that Apple don't read anything on here. Pity. They would learn about so many people who will never buy another of their products or develop any apps for them.

Just tried the delete and re install suggestion. No difference. So, we have bought what was advertised as complete tracks (another short one!) but turn out to be incomplete. Now, in this country that is ilegal. I must read the Terms & conditions to see if it is in Apple World.

Jun 15, 2012 6:25 PM in response to CrushMan

If you guys havent already seen, I posted on how to fix this issue. It must be something with iTunes or a bug, whatever.

What I found is it was early purchases from iTunes that have a .m4p extension. Luckily, you can use iTunes to identify the songs by going to the iTunes Music home page inside iTunes and hit "purchased" on the right hand side and select Music. Double check that all the songs are playing thru by clicking about a third up the way of the track as it plays. Simple. No need to discuss this issue further.

Songs not playing all the way through.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.