Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing printing-settings with AirPrint

Hello. Just bought myself an Epson Stylus SX445W from the Apple Store, AirPrint compatible.

On my computer I can edit the printing-settings, but they only affect printing from the computer itself (for example if I edit settings to print out in black and white, the computer will, while the iPad won't).

Reason I want settings changed is because printing from the iPad is extremely slow, while printing from the computer or other devices is fast.

So, is there any way to edit the printing settings from the iPad?

Epson Stylus SX445W-OTHER, iOS 5

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 5:21 PM

AirPrint doesn't let you change the settings. You might want to try the Epson printing app, but I think you can only change setting on photos. HP printers and their app lets you change settings on any docs, btw.

20 replies

Dec 3, 2011 5:42 PM in response to Tgara

Does the HP app let you change settings that lasts for ever (so you don't have to go into the app and change the settings every time you're going to print a document)?

In other words, if I change the settings in the HP app and print via native AirPrint (not via HPs app), the settings will remain as to what I changed them to?

And in other words, replacing my Epson-printer with a HP-printer will solve my problem?

Dec 3, 2011 7:30 PM in response to Nafoni

Nafoni wrote:

And in other words, replacing my Epson-printer with a HP-printer will solve my problem?

I'd say it's a definite maybe. 😁

Seriously, it will likely depend on the HP printer you choose. Some people have reported issues with the "all in one" printers that print documents and photos. Sometimes these pull photo paper when printing an email, for example. I use an HP LaserJet CP1525, that is compatible with AirPrint. It only prints on regular paper, not photo paper, so I don't have an issue with paper choice. Printing emails and web pages uses the full 8.5 x 11 inch size. If I choose to print photos (on regular paper) Airprint prints them 4 x 6 inch and does not give me an option to change it. However, if I print with the HP app, I can change size and paper type. The app knows when you are printing a document, for example, and goes to the settings you used last.

Overall, I think the HP printers give you more flexibility than the other Airprint printers available from Canon or Epson. The HP app is more sophisticated than the Epson or Canon apps too.

Dec 9, 2011 2:50 PM in response to Nafoni

I have also just bought the Epson SX445W and experience the same issue. It looks to me like when using Airprint with this printer the Photo quality settings on the Epson are used regardless of the type of document hence why it takes so long to print. I'm very disappoointed by this because if my assumption is correct then it will use a lot of ink and print ordinary documents very slowly.

Dec 9, 2011 4:24 PM in response to Big Apple cat

I contacted Apple Store and asked if I could return the printer and get a refund, even though it was opened. They said yes, so I will get a full refund even without paying any expenses for returning the printer - Apple pays for that.

If you ordered yours off Apple Store or any other shop you should contact them and ask if you can get a refund too.

While waiting for the refund from the Epson printer, I bought the HP PhotoSmart 5510. Only read good things about it.

In short: Apple replaces my Epson SX445W printer with the HP PhotoSmart 5510 for only approximately 10$ (Norwegian currency). VERY satisfied with Apple Store's Customer Service (Norwegian store).

Dec 10, 2011 4:03 AM in response to Big Apple cat

Big Apple cat wrote:

Nafoni one other question, so with the HP5510 can you change print settings from AirPrint using your iPad? So for example can you set the print quality to Draft for a mail document or do you have to do this from the computer?

Big Apple cat, the HP Home and Biz printing app works very well and lets you change some print settings on HP printers (paper type, size, trays, etc.). It's free and definitely worth getting as a complement to the built-in Airprint app if you have an HP Airprint printer.

Dec 10, 2011 11:22 AM in response to Tgara

I've been on a support chat with Epson and downloaded Epson iPrint. This now shows up in iTunes on my Mac, documents print much faster and it is possible to make some changes to the print settings. However the process is not as easy because the document has to be printed from the iPrint App the whole point of AirPrint was to be able to print anything from the iPad.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change any of the print settings from AirPrint regardless of the printer, i.e. is the ability to change printer settings such as quality, page size etc. a function of AirPrint that is dependent on the connected printer being able to support those configuration changes. I'm beginning to think that the applications such as Epson iPrint, HP ePrint are the only way of making these changes but if AirPrint is used then the printer settings cannot be changed and assume a default setting determined by the application e.g Photos will print in photo quality having said that I still cannot work out why printing to my Epson SX445W is in photo quality rergardless of what the source is.

Dec 11, 2011 3:56 AM in response to Nafoni

Love apple but this printer setting will not be solved by anyone else but apple inc ... or another app...again.....

In a home environment as well as in in the office I want to print from multiple devices / apps / users to one printer - we have one ipad, 3 iphones and one imac - and each print job should have a choice of default setting and and the option to override this... Printing from iPad and iphone does not even give you the options between print all pages or selected pages - this is not rocket science.

Is it too much to expect the basic functionality within the native app

Dec 11, 2011 10:23 AM in response to AlphaZeta

AlphaZeta wrote:

Printing from iPad and iphone does not even give you the options between print all pages or selected pages - this is not rocket science.

Is it too much to expect the basic functionality within the native app

I routinely print subsets of documents. You can print page ranges of PDFs from iBooks and from the quicklook in Mail, and Safari. Both Pages and Numbers allow a range to be given when printing multi-page documents. I expect there are others but those are the ones I use.

Editing printing-settings with AirPrint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.