Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best way to use your iPad instead of textbooks?

What's the best way to use your iPad instead of textbooks? I'm about to start a BSN program and have heard of using your iPad for textbooks instead of buying and carrying around 8 different books. Is there an app for that? Or do you buy or rent the books? What's the best solution?

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 3:38 PM

16 replies

Dec 8, 2011 3:56 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Or, if you're like me and you want to do a lot of heavy reading, use the iPad because the low contrast on a Kindle is extremely fatiguing. 😉

Seriously, though "screen glare will cause eye strain" is often taken as an article of faith, there's not a lot of good scientific evidence for it. "Eye strain" can be caused by concentrating on any close work for long periods of time. Looking up and focusing on something distant periodically is very helpful. Older CRT screens that flicker also can be aggravting. I'm not denying that some people find reading backlit screens uncomfortable. However, it's not dangerous. And, then, there are other people who find the higher contrast a backlit screen affords to be much less wearying over long periods of time.

Dec 8, 2011 4:23 PM in response to ABunt

The iPad is great for textbooks. I am a college student and use mine for all of my books. It is a cheap way to read on a great definition screen. I have three different apps that my books are separated into. The first one is Kno. This app is very new and not all of the books that you want will be on there. The second is called Course Smart. This app is nice but you have to purchase books online I believe and they will be transferred to your account. The third is a Pearson Books app. This is a publishing company who decided to make an app and the interface is really nice. Hope this helps.

-no such thing as eye strain. kindles are worthless

What's the best way to use your iPad instead of textbooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.