Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iYogi, scam? Relationship with Apple?

Anyone any experience of iYogi, and its relationship with Apple official support, please?

Fraudulent? Legitimate contractor?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Clean machine... no haxies; no Microsoft etc

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 1:54 PM

As stated right on their website:

http://www.iyogi.net.au/computer-software/apple-itunes.html#dis_last

44 replies

Dec 15, 2011 4:29 AM in response to Mark Sealey

Hello All, I work for iYogi in its Active Response Team. We are an independent remote tech support company and not affiliated with Apple. With customers in the US, the UK, Australia and Canada we provide comprehensive tech support for computers, connected devicesand software applications. We recently launched services for users of Apple technologies; you can read more in our press release http://www.iyogi.com/aboutus/index.html#press_releases1 and also visit our website at http://apple.iyogi.com. If there is a specific query, please feel free to email me on iYogiCare<at>iyogi<dot>com, and we will get on it right-away.

Thanks.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

<Edited by Host>

Dec 15, 2011 7:33 AM in response to Mark Sealey

Not speaking for nor defending iYogi, per se, but why would you expect any totally independent company to provide you with free service? They don't get compensated by Apple in any way, so it's perfectly reasonable and within their rights to charge you for any service they provide. If Apple will fix a problem for free, well, that's why you call Apple first. The same applies to any manufacturer in regards to an independent service provider. If you feel that any charge is excessive, just don't pay it and patronize some other business.

Regards.

Dec 15, 2011 7:47 AM in response to Mark Sealey

But in this case $79 dollars for a 5 minute fix was exorbitant.

Is that good business practice?

Personally, I think it's too high and would find other options but that's up to the owner of the company. They can charge what they like and customers can decide to pay if they like. It's called the free market where the customers ultimately decide the value of a product or service.

Dec 15, 2011 7:49 AM in response to Mark Sealey

Claiming or implying affiliation is one matter. Charging a fee is another, and perfectly reasonable. Many companies, including many authorized Apple service providers, charge a flat minimum fee for technical support. You and I may consider what iYogi charges to be exorbitant, but there's nothing unethical about them charging it as long as they tell you up front.

As to the ad, not having seen it, I can't comment. The only iYogi ad I have seen on Google makes no representation about being authorized by Apple or any other vendor, but there may be or have been other ads that did so imply an affiliation. The main iYogi web site most definitely disclaims any such affiliation.

Anyway, probably enough said on the matter. Regards.

Aug 3, 2012 7:39 PM in response to Mark Sealey

So i just thought i would get on here and relay some information about this iyogi to other people. My little brothers iphone stopped working and so he called "apple" or so he thought and when they answered his call they did not say who they were or what they were there to do. Also they had him go to this website where he was supposed to download a remote for the computer so that they could have controll over our computer. Which at that point he came to me to have look at that, which i felt there was no need to do. He also asked them if he could back up his phone to the icould. They said that the only way to do that was through that remote download. They also asked my little brother personal information about my mother and even tried to ask for her social securtiy, and he was smart enough to tell them no. Seems sketchy to me. I hoped i could give you guys a little more information.

Jan 18, 2013 3:52 AM in response to Mark Sealey

i couldnt log on to my mac cos of keyboard change and i panicked because i had experiences losing essays/ assignments on apple products, so search for 'apple customer service' and iyogi came up as the first link, but indicating as THE apple customer service. i called them up and they were friendly and being really helpful and offered remote help at first. i was still panicking and didn't doubt if they were the real apple technicians. i thought i was actually paying for the apple care plan but afterwards just realised this is a complete different company. i paid £110 for a year's subcription and felt this is extremely overpriced. chances are, i'm never gonna have to use this service again. i've used my mac for 5 years and no had a single problem. but i was pressured into believing that they are the apple people. they have NOT mentioned the name iyogi until the very last minute before i hang up after getting the help. VERY DECEPTING i'd have to say...

iYogi, scam? Relationship with Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.