Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text message to other iphones shows my email

I have only had the 4s for a little over a week. It was love at first site until siri stopped taking my requests and I had to reset my phone. After the reset all my contacts were in international format and completely screwed up, so I used the * 228 fix I found on here. Which leads me to today.

Ever since all of that, anytime I send a text message to anyone with an iPhone my name does not show up in their caller id. Instead it appears they are seeing my apple id name (or my email) which are the same thing. I have tested and retested with other iPhones and other smart phones and it's only an apple issue.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 6:09 PM

23 replies

Dec 12, 2011 6:46 PM in response to Edson.ajj

Ok so I think you are definitely right about it being an iMessage issue, but I looked at the settings and still can't figure it out. It says iMessage is on, but under receive at my phone number is grayed out and only my email shows up ( which at least tells me this is probably the problem). I can't get the grayed put phone number to do anything? It is in international format too! So confused ?!

Dec 12, 2011 7:22 PM in response to laurenfromsterling heights

OK, try this:

• On the iMessage settings tap on "Receive at"
  • Tap on your Apple ID
  • On the pop up tap on Change Location

Make Sure that the country that is selected is the appropriate one.

• Tap on save
  • Back at the Messages menu turn iMessage off

Go to the Settings> General> International

• Make sure that all the settings in there are as you like them.

Go back to the Message settings and turn on iMessage

Dec 19, 2011 8:37 AM in response to laurenfromsterling heights

Lauren,

I had a similar problem after I did a reset of my iPhone. If your problem hasn't been solved yet, maybe you could try the steps I took that fixed it for me.

Go under "Settings, Messages" and look at the "Receive At" line. If it shows "2 Addresses" instead of just your phone number, tap on it, then tap on your Apple ID and choose "Sign out" from the choices. Next, turn iMessage OFF and back out of Settings. Finally, go back into Settings and turn iMessage ON again. It should show only your phone number at that point, which should fix things. Please post back here if it is successful for you as well.

Another similar support thread on this may be found at the following URL:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3385682?start=0&tstart=0

May 30, 2012 7:48 AM in response to (NC)

THIS FIX WORKED FOR ME AFTER I HAD TO RESET MY PHONE. IF YOU DON'T SEE THE "RECIEVE AT" RIGHT AWAY TURN IMESSAGE OFF, THEN ON, IT THEN SHOULD ALLOW YOU TO SEE ADDITIONAL OPTIONS, AND THEN FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS BELOW. THANK YOU!

(NC)

Currently Being Moderated

Re: Text message to other iphones shows my email

Dec 19, 2011 8:37 AM (in response to laurenfromsterling heights)

Lauren,

I had a similar problem after I did a reset of my iPhone. If your problem hasn't been solved yet, maybe you could try the steps I took that fixed it for me.

Go under "Settings, Messages" and look at the "Receive At" line. If it shows "2 Addresses" instead of just your phone number, tap on it, then tap on your Apple ID and choose "Sign out" from the choices. Next, turn iMessage OFF and back out of Settings. Finally, go back into Settings and turn iMessage ON again. It should show only your phone number at that point, which should fix things. Please post back here if it is successful for you as well.

Another similar support thread on this may be found at the following URL:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3385682?start=0&tstart=0

Text message to other iphones shows my email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.