Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

%20 on Download file Names

Hi,

Can anyone can tell me why I get the names of the files that I have downloaded to my iPad from my computer via wi-fi, full with %20 scattered all over the file name?

I have got this phenomenon with two different applications.

Thanks,

Amnon

iPad 2, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 2:11 PM

22 replies

Feb 7, 2017 10:02 AM in response to Akash Sharma

Dear Akash, How do you get to the "Find & Replace" option through "Automator". I am not super savvy on Macs but I own a Mackbook and since I bought it I am running into this %20 thing when I down load and it is super time consuming to fix it.

I would like to take advantage of your discovery but don't know how to do it. I found Automator but then I have nom idea what to do.

Could you please post a steps by step of how to Find and Replace with Automator? Pleaseeeee

Thanks!

Best, Venus

Feb 6, 2012 3:08 PM in response to Amnon39

I have the same problem and it's frustrating to have to waste time renaming every file I download from Safari. There is no such problem when I make Google Chrome my default browser, which I may have to do, but I would really prefer not to. Is there any way we could encourage Safar to be more user friendly by resolving this problem?

Sep 2, 2013 7:37 PM in response to greathouse.steve

EVERY browser out there does this. And countless programs.

The best way to get around it is if people that put files up don't use spaces in the names. A good alternative is to use the underscore __, which keeps up that space without actually using one.

it's not a problem uniques to apple, the real issue lies with those that put files up lacking the knowledge to not use spaces in titles.

Sep 2, 2013 8:06 PM in response to Skydiver119

I didn't say every browser, I said apple. PC's do NOT do this, you can download any file you like and it keeps the names with the spaces... as God intended. This was a bug that was fixed with the advent of Windows... heard of it?

The "real issue" is that Apple apparently has a bunch of DOS throw-backs that, for some unknown reason, think file names should not involve spaces. Do_you_type_with_underscores? Does-anyone-type-without-spaces? Do PC users need to save files without spaces? Well, if you're downloading those files with a PC, then the answer is no.

To say the solution is for the entire world to start saving files with underscores or hyphens, is ridiculous. That's like saying "Doctor, it hurts when I lift my arm", and him replying with, "The solution is to stop raising your arm". Sound silly? Yes, of course it is.

The solution is for Apple to simply fix it. It's a bug, a bug that Windows apparently figured out, it's time Apple did too.

Sep 2, 2013 8:13 PM in response to greathouse.steve

Actually, no. I see it on windows comptuers. and anyone that knows about proper file naming and protocols doesn't use spaces in their titles. However your focus seems to be more about expressing yourself on a public forum than anything else.

This is just a user to user forum. If you wish to express yourself to Apple, there is a nifty 'contact us' link on the bottom of every page. you can use it to send your feedback to Apple themselves.

Sep 3, 2013 1:24 AM in response to Skydiver119

OK, you're right about this becoming juvenile on my part. And yes, this is not the place for venting to Apple. I apologize.

I'll just close with...it's only proper if its necessary...and I've used computers since the early 90's and NEVER experienced the %20 until I got my MacBook Air. So maybe I've just had a magic ability to download thousands of files from my online email for all these years, and my Mac purchase has simply broken the spell. ****. Well hopefully when I get to the office today and download project files using my PC, maybe, just maybe I'll be able to download the files, spaces and all...as I have done thousands of times before.

But good luck with getting the whole planet to "properly name their files". And I'll stay off this thread, continue to name my files with spaces, and download files with spaces to my PC. (No wonder the business world uses them)

I guess I'll just use my Air for music and browsing.

%20 on Download file Names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.