Previous 1 2 Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2014 9:36 PM by rsy
peeotr Level 1 Level 1

I have updated my Mac to Snow Leopard 10.6.8, I have Aperture 3.2.2 with all recent updates. After importing photos from memory card (flash) I am asked if I want to delete photos and reject card. It happens (I'm not sure if all the times) that even if I click "erase" and after I confirm this, the photos are not erased. I need to do it manually... Not a big problem, but in a workflow it's not comfortable.

Aperture 3
Solved by Henry the VII on Dec 18, 2011 10:11 AM Solved
Hello! I had the same problem. I found that usually when you request erasin it confirms it but when you go to your SD it still is there.Go to queued process and look at the particular task: IS PAUSED ALWAYS!Unpause it and Voila!
Reply by léonie on Dec 16, 2011 11:28 AM Helpful
Me too, Aperture did not erase the SD card in the card reader, neither when I imported all images nor when I imported selected images:AP 3.2.2, MacOS 10.7.2, MBP 13" I'm not too concerned about it - usually the camera knows best how to erase the card safely.
Reply by Kirby Krieger on Dec 16, 2011 11:52 AM Helpful
I don't have an answer. I do have a suggestion  .  Standard "Best Practice" is to erase images from cards using only the machine which recorded the files in the first place (in this case, your camera).  Furthermore, it is generally advised to reformat cards, rather than just erase pictures.  This, too, should be done by the camera. (If you share cards between cameras, you should reformat them whenever moving one from one camera to another.) I keep enough cards to cover at least two days work.  After each shoot I import into Aperture and keep the files on the card(s).  As cards fill, I replace them with my "least recently used card".  When I run low on a card, I replace it.  Every time I replace one, I reformat the card I just replaced it with. This way, in addition to whatever file backup routine I have on my computer, I also retain the originals on the cards for at least a day and two nights. 

All replies

• léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Me too, Aperture did not erase the SD card in the card reader, neither when I imported all images nor when I imported selected images:

AP 3.2.2, MacOS 10.7.2, MBP 13"

I'm not too concerned about it - usually the camera knows best how to erase the card safely.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6

I don't have an answer.

I do have a suggestion  .  Standard "Best Practice" is to erase images from cards using only the machine which recorded the files in the first place (in this case, your camera).  Furthermore, it is generally advised to reformat cards, rather than just erase pictures.  This, too, should be done by the camera. (If you share cards between cameras, you should reformat them whenever moving one from one camera to another.)

I keep enough cards to cover at least two days work.  After each shoot I import into Aperture and keep the files on the card(s).  As cards fill, I replace them with my "least recently used card".  When I run low on a card, I replace it.  Every time I replace one, I reformat the card I just replaced it with.

This way, in addition to whatever file backup routine I have on my computer, I also retain the originals on the cards for at least a day and two nights. 

• James Mckain Level 1 Level 1

Agreed! Best suggestion. I follow a similar practice and it gives me peace of mind to keep my files for a little while, and then the camera erases the files better than the computer. (I don't reformat my cards each time, just erase.) The work flow is slightly more cumbersome, but really, it only takes a bit more time.

• peeotr Level 1 Level 1

Thank you for your opinions. I think there is no aswer for the Aperture behavior concernig the problem. It's good to know that somebody else has observed the same.

I agree with your suggestions about keeping photos and formating the card. Thank you.

• Henry the VII Level 1 Level 1

Hello!

I had the same problem.

I found that usually when you request erasin it confirms it but when you go to your SD it still is there.

Go to queued process and look at the particular task: IS PAUSED ALWAYS!

Unpause it and Voila!

Sorry but after I posted this reply, Aperture refuse command and does not erase again!

Please excuse my answer, I rushed to talk.

Strange is that once pictures were actually erased...

• peeotr Level 1 Level 1

OK, the problem seems to appear only if I check "eject card" box and then push on "delete items". When I leave the box empty the photos are erased.

• Klahane Level 1 Level 1

I see the same problem.

This is with a new Lumix FZ 150. If I *do not* choose to eject the card from the Finder, Aperture does delete the photos from the card. If I *do* choose to eject the card from the Finder, Aperture fails to delete the images from the card.

• aapl.crox Level 1 Level 1

Does anyone have a fix for this please? Please? I really want to delete the files. It won't do it if I select "Eject". If I don't select "Eject" it will delete no problem. Please help!

I don't see this problem in Aperture 3.4.3, the current version.

Sorry to hear this.

Apple really got me sick and finally I abandoned Aperture forever to never come back.

Try Phase One Pro.

Is Almost Exactly the same interface and functions and FAR better quality.

( in fact top proffesionals in the industry use it)

Specially if you use Fuji Brand pro cameras.

Hope you solve the questions.

This problem is still with us in Aperture 3.4.4. In fact, it's worse. Now every time I try to eject my FZ 150 and delete images, Aperture crashes. All the images have been imported, so nothing's lost but time (knock on wood).

I'm perfectly happy to read others' opinions of what "best practice" is, but that's not the issue here. The issue here is that Aperture doesn't do what it tells you it's going to do. And crashing during a download procedure is very worrisome.

I just ran a test:

I carefully unchecked Eject card and Aperture still crashed. And it didn't erase the card.

I just ran another test. I rebuilt the Aperture Library, the bottom choice when you hold down command and option while starting Aperture. (I backed up first.) That went well.

Then I took two images and ran through my normal procedure, leaving eject checked and deleting images. Aperture crashed.

Note that Aperture appears to be crashing before erasing the card or ejecting the card.

Previous 1 2 Next