Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"System Preferences" is frozen

"System Preferences" is frozen. I have used "Force Quit" several times, have rebooted, have shut down and unplugged, still frozen. Any other options?

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 5:16 AM

16 replies

Dec 20, 2011 2:48 PM in response to hastwo

This seems to be happening to a lot of users including myself when loading some new wallpaper. After downloading Wallpapers HD Lite from the App Store, the desktop and screensavor application within system preferences froze which I had to force quit. When trying to launch system preferences, the application defaulted to the desktop and screensavor application which was frozen. Holding down the shift key and launching system preferences worked, however, the desktop and screensavor application was still freezing up. Here's what I did to fix the issue:

A) Completely uninstalled Wallpapers HD Lite using an application called App Cleaner.

1) Click finder then Go. Holding down the option key, click Library then click preferences. Look for a file called com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Drag this file into the trashcan and empty the trash.

2) Re-start the system.

3) Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. Navigate to the Macintosh HD drive and click repair disk permissions at the bottom.

4) Run a complete diagnostic with an application called Onyx, then restart the computer again.

5) Open finder, then create a new folder called iPhoto. Drag the iPhoto Library into the newly created folder and close the finder window.

6) Hold down the option key, then launch the iPhoto application. Click the Choose Library button and navigate to the newly created folder. Click the Choose button.

After running the above fix sequence, the desktop and screensavor application within system preferences became functional, however, an hour later, it froze up again.

Note that Wallpapers HD Lite had placed a folder called Wallpapers HD Lite in the Library folder under Application Support which contained a jpeg file used as my current wallpaper. The wallpaper jpeg file downloaded from the wallpaper app was being used my current wallpaper, however, the application had been deleted using the application called App Cleaner as previously mentioned. I think this was why the desktop and screensaver application froze a second time.

After running the fix sequence above again, the Desktop and Screensaver application became functional for a second time. I then changed the wallpaper to a default system image then deleted the Wallpapers HD Lite folder containing the previous wallpaper image in the Library/Application Support file path.

Reinstalled Wallpapers HD Lite with no further issues . .

Jun 11, 2012 6:42 PM in response to hastwo

I've been having the same issue with system preferences in osx lion freezing and not doing anything for the past week. all I had to do was move the iphoto library and the photo booth library to the desktop,restart and then open system preferences and it was working then I moved them back to my pictures folder in the finder window. Now system preferences works like a charm, even if I restart the system the system preferences utilities are all accessible.

This solved the problem; whereas other posts that had me use disk utility to repair the hard drive or repair the disk permissions didn't solve the issue.

i did try all others on here and they never worked for me but could for other people this works 100% my problem was caused by changing desk top picture then just keep jamming on it when i open system preferences

Jul 6, 2012 8:00 AM in response to hastwo

This post helped fix this problem for me:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/266027-system-preference- unresponsive.html

The issue (at least for me) was iPhoto had gotten corrupted and creating a new iPhoto Library (using Option-click when launching iPhoto) fixed the issue. Hopefully Apple will address this because it's a frustrating issue.

Also useful is even when you are having this problem you can get to the other System Preferences with Shift-click on the System Preferences.

Sep 12, 2012 3:04 AM in response to hastwo

i had a problem with it too, my screen saver was frozen i tried all steps said here but did not work only this one i found bellow the page worked well

written by this person rsl300974

I've been having the same issue with system preferences in osx lion freezing and not doing anything for the past week. all I had to do was move the iphoto library and the photo booth library to the desktop,restart and then open system preferences and it was working then I moved them back to my pictures folder in the finder window. Now system preferences works like a charm, even if I restart the system the system preferences utilities are all accessible.

thanks so much for posting it , really helped just moved my iphotos and booth photos from my dok to desktop and now all good as before

"System Preferences" is frozen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.