Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2012 11:21 PM by andynick
Voltaic Level 1 (0 points)

Title says it all.  I'm editing a video that is 40 minutes long.  When I export it, everything plays fine but it adds 3 minutes of black to the end of the clip.  The only thing I've done differently is that I am using a beta of PluralEyes to sync all the footage so I imported an XML file to start. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

13" MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 115GB SSD, 8GB Memory
  • Voltaic Level 1 (0 points)

Just to add, there is not a blank storyline at the end of my edit and if I hit the END button on my keyboard, it stops at the 40 minute mark.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 (115,525 points)

Does the time in the dashboard match the duration display at the bottom of the window?

I will have to check to make sure but now that you mention it, if you mean the Projects area, I believe it does say 43 minutes there but when I drill down to the timeline it shows only 40 minutes. 

I have confirmed- the Project Library and Properties show that the Project is 43 minutes but when I actually go to the timeline there is only media to 40 minutes.  Any idea how to fix this?

Set the timeline to zoom to fit Shift-Z. What do you see?

Try copying and pasting the contents into a new empty sequence.

So when I hit Shift-Z I see where it has about three minutes added on the timeline.  Coincidentally, there is an out marker at the 40 minute mark but it still appears to export beyond that.

I'm confident that copying and pasting into a new sequence will work but I'm hoping to find out how this happened so I can avoid it in the future.  Any ideas?

Can we see the end portion of the timeline?

There'sno such thing as an out marker in FCP in relation to the project.

Well, I know it's not an out marker but I don't know what else to call it.  That's what they looked like in the previous versions of FCP.  Take a look at the screen shot I attached.

Screen Shot 2011-12-20 at 11.15.46 PM.png

That's not a project. Look in the upper left corner of the timeline window. Also notice the diagonal hash marks on the right side of the image. You've opened what looks like a compound clip into the timeline. You can't export that. When you export you're exporting a project. Step back into the project and look at that to see what's at the end of that timeline.

Ok, here's the compound clip-

Screen Shot 2011-12-20 at 11.15.03 PM.png

For the record, I've exported from both the compound clip and from this stage and the same error occurs.

• andynick Level 5 (4,925 points)

See the black on the timeline (after what you called the out marker) click on it. If it highlights, delete it with the backspace key.

Andy

If you are using 10.0.1 or later, as I said, the application always exports the project. It doesn't matter if you export from the compiound clip open in the timeline, the project exports. I can't see what you're doing here to produce the outcoming you're getting. I can't see any timeline duration or dashboard or project info.

Andy- that area is non-selectable. So I cannot erase it.

Tom- I appreciate your help but  I'm going to contact apple and see what they say. I'll post back with how it's handled.

• Mercprods Level 1 (0 points)

I am experiencing this exact same issue, both with sharing to DVD and to YouTube.  I think it may have something to do with making duplicate copies of a project in the project library, and then further editing the project down in time.  It seems the last version of the project maintains the original projects duration.  This has happened to me twice on different projects - frustrating.  I am also using the latest plural eyes beta for syncing 3 cameras and an additional audio source.  When I "show all" of the project, only the edited project shows in the timeline like above.  I have noticed that there is a time duration metric at the bottom of the project window, which includes the "added black" feature ;-)

Any solutions?  This is happening on both my laptop and desktop systems.

Previous 1 2 Next