Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thre Minutes of Black added to the end of my export from Final Cut Pro X

Title says it all. I'm editing a video that is 40 minutes long. When I export it, everything plays fine but it adds 3 minutes of black to the end of the clip. The only thing I've done differently is that I am using a beta of PluralEyes to sync all the footage so I imported an XML file to start.

Has anyone else experienced this?

13" MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 115GB SSD, 8GB Memory

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 5:53 AM

18 replies

Aug 5, 2017 12:44 PM in response to Voltaic

I dug up this old post from 2011 because I had a similar problem.

Exporting clips resulted in erratic lengths. Some clips were cut off 10-15 seconds before the end. Other clips were lengthened by seconds or minutes.

I believe the main reason for this issue is that I am editing and exporting clips rather than projects. It also seems to have something to do with compound clips…

To fix this, I have had to go to the end of each clip, select the out point (O) and then Mark > Set Clip Range (X).

The clip then exports with the correct time.

Disclaimer: I'm new to FCPX. Using 10.3.4.

Dec 20, 2011 8:52 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

So when I hit Shift-Z I see where it has about three minutes added on the timeline. Coincidentally, there is an out marker at the 40 minute mark but it still appears to export beyond that.

I'm confident that copying and pasting into a new sequence will work but I'm hoping to find out how this happened so I can avoid it in the future. Any ideas?

Dec 20, 2011 9:22 PM in response to Voltaic

That's not a project. Look in the upper left corner of the timeline window. Also notice the diagonal hash marks on the right side of the image. You've opened what looks like a compound clip into the timeline. You can't export that. When you export you're exporting a project. Step back into the project and look at that to see what's at the end of that timeline.

Jan 25, 2012 8:47 PM in response to Voltaic

I am experiencing this exact same issue, both with sharing to DVD and to YouTube. I think it may have something to do with making duplicate copies of a project in the project library, and then further editing the project down in time. It seems the last version of the project maintains the original projects duration. This has happened to me twice on different projects - frustrating. I am also using the latest plural eyes beta for syncing 3 cameras and an additional audio source. When I "show all" of the project, only the edited project shows in the timeline like above. I have noticed that there is a time duration metric at the bottom of the project window, which includes the "added black" feature ;-)

Any solutions? This is happening on both my laptop and desktop systems.

Thre Minutes of Black added to the end of my export from Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.