5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 3:45 AM by aRKay
aRKay Level 2 Level 2 (205 points)

I posted an issue under iMac

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17073733#17073733

that probably should have been posted to this iPhoto community. I have a new Kingston 8 GB SD card that formatted fine in my Canon SD-1200 digital camera. The problem is I cannot get the card to mount on my Apple iMac running OS X 10.7.2 with iPhoto 9.2.1. What is weird is I can get my wife's Apple MacBook Pro to mount the card. 

My iMac does not not have card slot so I have to use an iConnect USB adaper that works fine on the iMac with a Kingston 2 GB SD card.  I maintain iPhoto on on the iMac so I am dead in the water because I cannot get the iMac to mouth the Kingston 8 GB SD card

I now suspect the iConnect SD Card Reader/Writer may be the weak sister

iMac, MacBook Pro and iPad2, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • stedman1 Level 9 Level 9 (63,965 points)

I suspect your weak sister theory is correct. Quite a few card readers, especially older units, can not read high capacity (SDHC) cards. You may have to replace your card reader.

Stedman

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (68,870 points)

Some card readers will not read larger cards - a new card reader is probably the answer - as a work around you can use teh USB connection directly to the camera

LN

• aRKay Level 2 Level 2 (205 points)

> ...as a work around you can use teh USB connection directly to the camera

That was one of the first things I tired and there was no joy. This iMac could not read Kingston 8 GB card in the adaper or with a direct connection to the camera.  I used could not becasue it just occured to me that I was using the USB port on the corded Apple keyboard. I may try it again using one of the USB port on the back of the iMac and I will also try the same on the MBP. The card reader slot on the MBP works.  This may be an iMac issue.

I agree the weak sister is the iConnect SD Card Reader.  As a test the 8 GB Kingston SD card can be read using the card reader slot on the Mac Book Pro; however, the same MBP cannot read the 8 GB card using the iConnect Reader. 

I pulled this data from the MBP's System Information and it looks like the Alcor Micro Corp device is the problem child.  Maybe Santa will put a new reader in my stocking

Mass Storage Device:

Product ID:          0x6331

Vendor ID:          0x058f  (Alcor Micro, Corp.)

Version:          1.02

Serial Number:          058F0O1111B

Speed:          Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer:          Generic

Location ID:          0x26200000 / 3

Current Available (mA):          500

Current Required (mA):          250

Internal Memory Card Reader:

Product ID:          0x8403

Vendor ID:          0x05ac  (Apple Inc.)

Version:          98.33

Serial Number:          9833

Speed:          Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer:          Apple

Location ID:          0x26500000 / 2

Current Available (mA):          500

Current Required (mA):          500

> as a work around you can use teh USB connection directly to the camera

I cannot mount the 8 GB SD card ont the iMac's desktop using a direct USB connection to the Canon digital camera; howeve, the direct connection will let me import the data from the SD card to iPhoto. Like you stated this is a good workarund until I replace the wimpy iConnect SD Card Reader.