Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto cannot read my Kingston 8GB card

I posted an issue under iMac

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3589900

that probably should have been posted to this iPhoto community. I have a new Kingston 8 GB SD card that formatted fine in my Canon SD-1200 digital camera. The problem is I cannot get the card to mount on my Apple iMac running OS X 10.7.2 with iPhoto 9.2.1. What is weird is I can get my wife's Apple MacBook Pro to mount the card.

My iMac does not not have card slot so I have to use an iConnect USB adaper that works fine on the iMac with a Kingston 2 GB SD card. I maintain iPhoto on on the iMac so I am dead in the water because I cannot get the iMac to mouth the Kingston 8 GB SD card

I now suspect the iConnect SD Card Reader/Writer may be the weak sister

iMac, MacBook Pro and iPad2-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 6:45 PM

I suspect your weak sister theory is correct. Quite a few card readers, especially older units, can not read high capacity (SDHC) cards. You may have to replace your card reader.

Stedman

5 replies

Dec 23, 2011 2:53 AM in response to LarryHN

> ...as a work around you can use teh USB connection directly to the camera

That was one of the first things I tired and there was no joy. This iMac could not read Kingston 8 GB card in the adaper or with a direct connection to the camera. I used could not becasue it just occured to me that I was using the USB port on the corded Apple keyboard. I may try it again using one of the USB port on the back of the iMac and I will also try the same on the MBP. The card reader slot on the MBP works. This may be an iMac issue.

Dec 23, 2011 3:11 AM in response to aRKay

I agree the weak sister is the iConnect SD Card Reader. As a test the 8 GB Kingston SD card can be read using the card reader slot on the Mac Book Pro; however, the same MBP cannot read the 8 GB card using the iConnect Reader.

I pulled this data from the MBP's System Information and it looks like the Alcor Micro Corp device is the problem child. Maybe Santa will put a new reader in my stocking

Mass Storage Device:

Product ID: 0x6331

Vendor ID: 0x058f (Alcor Micro, Corp.)

Version: 1.02

Serial Number: 058F0O1111B

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Generic

Location ID: 0x26200000 / 3

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 250

Internal Memory Card Reader:

Product ID: 0x8403

Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)

Version: 98.33

Serial Number: 9833

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple

Location ID: 0x26500000 / 2

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Dec 23, 2011 3:45 AM in response to LarryHN

> as a work around you can use teh USB connection directly to the camera

I cannot mount the 8 GB SD card ont the iMac's desktop using a direct USB connection to the Canon digital camera; howeve, the direct connection will let me import the data from the SD card to iPhoto. Like you stated this is a good workarund until I replace the wimpy iConnect SD Card Reader.

iPhoto cannot read my Kingston 8GB card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.