Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto will not open

iPhoto will not open

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 6:45 AM

74 replies

Dec 26, 2011 9:07 AM in response to kpstarr

Did you have a question?

Before anyone can help, they need information to work with. Basic stuff:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. What were you doing when the problem arose?

- Did it ever work properly?

- Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

Anything else you can think of that might allow someone else to understand your issue.

With this kind of information somebody can develop a starting point for troubleshooting the issue.

Posts that consist of "iPhoto doesn't work. Help" or "iPhoto won't print" or "Suddenly I have no photos!!!!!!!!!!" mean that any helper is simply guessing. With information, s/he may be able to get your issue resolved sooner.

Jan 11, 2012 9:10 AM in response to Yer_Man

In my case, version 7.1.5.

I have over 30 gigs left of my hard drive. I simply imported 300 or so pictures yesterday, JPEG ranging between 66 and 188kb, so not huge files. iPhoto was working fine last night, today the wheel keeps spinning and I have to force quit every time.

Ran disk utility twice today already, keeps on repairing some permissions. Had to issue years ago on a Macbook, but when I switched to new Macbook, problem went away. However, I can't afford to buy new hardware everytim iPhoto craps out.

What can I do? I removed the files from iPhoto, but still won't open...

Jan 11, 2012 11:01 AM in response to Phit38

Now you've trashed your iPhoto Library. Never, ever access anything managed by iPhoto via the "All Images" search. iPhoto is a database and you need to manage the photos via it. In fact if you're using iPhoto best to forget that All Images search even exists.

Best option now: Restore from back up

Next best: Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Only one left: recover your Photos from the damaged library and start over from scratch.

Jan 11, 2012 11:10 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the tip.

Incidentally, I didn't trash the iPhoto library, not in its entirety, just the pictures and now was able to open iPhoto as if nothing happened and it is working just find.

I will heed your advice from now on, but just wanted to point out the simple removal of the files punctually did the job.

Jan 24, 2012 8:02 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have just developed the same problem.

message I received- iPhoto has detected inconsistencies in your library.--Please click Repair to avoid potential problems. -I clicked Repair. Message-Repairing Database (Repairing Library)

Screen clears, pictures come up for about 15 seconds and then iPhoto quits. Message-iPhoto quit unexpectedly.

Mac OSX Lion version 10.7.2 iPhoto version 9.2.1 (installed 11.12.02)

It worked fine from Dec 2 until three days ago. Wasn't doing anything except trying to open iPhoto.

Jan 24, 2012 8:25 AM in response to ultrasmallman

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

iPhoto will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.