Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air not charging

My 2011 macbook air seems to go through stages of not charging.

With lid open, air charger doesn't charge (or light up), but my old macbook charger will charge fine.

With lid closed, the air charger seems to light up and charge fine. If you open while plugged in, still charges fine.

Seems very strange, but seems to point towards a charger problem rather than a macbook or battery problem. Seems intermitent. Once it starts charging, will do so even if opened.

Macbook charger will power and charge regardless.

This seems to happen after been running on battery power for some time, then charger plugged in again.

Anyone experienced similar issues?

Thanks

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 8:17 AM

18 replies

Dec 28, 2011 9:39 AM in response to paul999 uk

I'm having the exact same problem - yes it seems to happen after running on battery for a long time. For mine, closing the lid or re-starting/ shutting down doesn't seem to help.

I've asked the question here before and someone suggested it may be a cord problem.

I'm in an old house with 70amp power system - I've often wondered if that is related.

Has anyone else solved this issue?

Feb 21, 2012 3:05 PM in response to paul999 uk

For what it's worth this problem is still occuring out there. I had to take my 11" MBA to the local apple store. All of the behaviors and symptoms noted above. Will be plugged in but not charge and the light is green. Jiggy it and eventually, sometimes, it brightens the display indicating a plugged in powersource vs battery, Jiggy it even more and it will usually then start charging. Software diagnostics show no issues. Waiting to hear back from the store. Just bought it in December 2011.

Feb 23, 2012 3:43 AM in response to paul999 uk

Got a call from the apple store. They said they thought it was a bad logic board which they are replacing. Hope that does the trick. Also hope there are no more probs. *Converted my whole household to Mac from PC's after years of dealing with THAT nightmare convincing everyone that Apple stuff was better. I want that to be true. The OS sure is. Anyway, good tech support and quality customer service from Apple so that's much appreciated. And the help is local and not someone I can barely understand. It's just better.

Feb 23, 2012 8:34 AM in response to thomaslb

thomaslb wrote:

Got a call from the apple store. They said they thought it was a bad logic board which they are replacing. Hope that does the trick. Also hope there are no more probs. *Converted my whole household to Mac from PC's after years of dealing with THAT nightmare convincing everyone that Apple stuff was better. I want that to be true. The OS sure is. Anyway, good tech support and quality customer service from Apple so that's much appreciated. And the help is local and not someone I can barely understand. It's just better.

Good to hear. Yeah, it sounded like they would be able to take care of your problem. Yes, Mac's are certainlly a lot more reliable. The OS alone makes the conversion worthwhile and Apple's tech support is outstanding.

Dec 17, 2012 8:34 AM in response to paul999 uk

I'm having this problem (again) with my 2011 MacBook Air. Last year Apple had me reset SMC with no luck so exchanged new power adapter for my old one. It's worked fine for nearly a year, but now the same problem again... connected but no green (or amber) light and not charging. No longer have my old MacBook Pro so can't try its power adapter. Since my AppleCare warranty is past, guess I'll buy another power adapter, but probably a 3rd party adapter... since I seem to have found two Apple duds... or is it my logic board? Hope not...

May 23, 2013 10:03 AM in response to paul999 uk

I had the exact same problem. And I tried resetting both the SMC and PRAM. To no use. Then I took a close look at the magsafe connector on my charger and noticed that the two large middle pins had got stuck pressed in. A TINY amount of WD-40 and a bit of careful tampering with a pair of tweezers made them come loose again. Problem solved. Works perfect again. Nothing beats low-tech solutions!

(And it doesn't go sizzling hot anymore)

macbook air not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.