Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What gives with HDCP error w/ Netflix?

I've had my Apple TV for almost a year now & have never had an issue w/ Netflix. Tonight, I get an HDCP error when trying to play movies on Netflix. I haven't changed anything w/ my home theater set-up since it last worked. It won't even play movies that I've watched before on Netflix. Is it the new firmware update? What can I do to fix it?

Help!!!

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 9:41 PM

10 replies

Jan 11, 2012 8:01 PM in response to xoman

So, after troubleshooting, it appears the the problem is my TV. I'm gonna have to figure out a work-around because I'm sure as heck not buying a new TV because the studios made Apple turn on HDCP. It kills me that after 11 months of working fine, now I have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to watch Netflix again!!!

Jan 29, 2013 5:29 AM in response to xoman

I had my ATV 3 working just fine, streaming national TV directly from my Ipad, and even streaming movies from my Imac, with the app Air Video that let me start & stop everything through my Ipad. I was lucky and finally i don't need to burn dvd:s anymore. I reached my goal. Yippie!

Without changing my setup at all, suddenly after 5 month it just stopped working, and probably I get to see the first 3-6 seconds of the movie, then it freeze. Trying to play again, and the error-messege "The contain need to be supported by HDCP" appear on the screen. (My TV support HDCP)

Hello!?!?! It worked just fine for 5 months as it was. I really tried everything to solve the problem. Expensive highspeed cables, changning the inputs, updated my router, tv and everything else. Reset the system a thousand times. But NO! Just the 3-6 seconds of streaming and then it stops, telling me about the HDCP, that my TV DO supports. It wont work even with my ATV3 connected by networkcablel to my router.

If I connect my Ipad directly to my TV through an HDMI-adapter, evrything works just fine. But Hey... What's the function about having an ATV then?!?! It seems like this problem is escalating throughout our globe, and no-one, even Apple, seems to understand what is wrong... :-(

Listen to this then: Finally I was able to borrow a another ATV3 from a friend, with the same firmware. And guess what. It was working again! Gosh... It is something wrong with the hardware in my unit I thought, and I returned it to the store, with a long letter describing the problem.

After 1 month, I received a new unit from Apple, and I was really nervous hooking it up in my home.

1, 2, 3 , 4, 5, 6.... Freeze! Again! Even with the new unit! Start to get really tired about this and that it seems that there's no solution. Frankly. Nobody knows, so I send it back, once again... :-(

Still... My friends ATV3-unit with the same firmware working just fine here in my setup.

You out there. The first one that come up with a solution to this "Twillight Zone Story" get some reward of some kind! ;-)

APPLE. What is wrong here ???

Feb 6, 2014 6:04 PM in response to Andrewrgossett

Your solution might work but it's no longer HD which would not be acceptable to me.

Every time I've seen this error a reboot of the ATV fixes it.

I've noticed that the ATV will lose its network connection if left sleeping for a while. Rebooting the ATV restores the network connection and this message goes away and everything works normally until the ATV goes unused for awhile.

FYI, your video is difficult to watch as it's too jumpy and too dark.

Please take some time to get the basics of videography before posting a video again. It will make helping you a lot more pleasant.

What gives with HDCP error w/ Netflix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.