Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing photos to iPhoto, message "iPhone is locked with a passcode"

Hi,

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4s. SInce upgrading, whenever I connect my iPhone 4s to my Mac to import photos from its camera roll, I get the message below ("Photos in the camera roll on "User's iPhone" cannot be viewed or imported because the iPhone is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone to view or import them.)

User uploaded file

Problem is - my phone isn't locked (it has a passcode, but I've entered it and my iPhone is unlocked, showing its home screen). The Mac I'm connecting to is the one I sync my photos with, and sync my iTunes content with. Restarting the Mac and iPhone seems to fix the problem, but it comes back the next time.

Any tips?

Many thanks,

Greg

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2017 5:05 PM

Hi! I'm having the same problem and have tried all the suggestions. This is the first time I've tried to connect my iPhone 6 to my 2009 macbook. When I connect it, iTunes gives me the following message:

User uploaded file

and iPhoto tells me that photos cannot be viewed or imported because my phone is locked with a passcode, but when I unlock my phone it doesn't solve the problem. My phone also asks me if I want to trust this computer every time I unlock it when it is connected to my computer. Is it just that my computer is ancient or is there some way I can fix this?

Thank you!

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2017 5:05 PM in response to Greg Andresen

Hi! I'm having the same problem and have tried all the suggestions. This is the first time I've tried to connect my iPhone 6 to my 2009 macbook. When I connect it, iTunes gives me the following message:

User uploaded file

and iPhoto tells me that photos cannot be viewed or imported because my phone is locked with a passcode, but when I unlock my phone it doesn't solve the problem. My phone also asks me if I want to trust this computer every time I unlock it when it is connected to my computer. Is it just that my computer is ancient or is there some way I can fix this?

Thank you!

Jun 1, 2017 6:27 AM in response to Greg Andresen

After not being able to download photos from my iPhone to my computer for many months, I finally solved this issue!

In your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy.

After Resetting Location & Privacy, I had a prompt asking whether I trusted my phone. I chose Trust and suddenly I could download my photos again. What a relief after so much trouble!

This works! Its easy once you know what to do!

Feb 23, 2017 8:50 AM in response to reneefromeast hartford

Thank you so much for your post, I have been out of my mind trying to figure out why my computer wouldnt accept my pictures one day. For anyone else having this issue I thought I would share what just worked for me. I downloaded the most recent ITunes on the computer that I was trying to move my photos to. A ITunes icon showed up on my desktop. I then re-connected my i-phone and BOOM, it worked.

Jun 8, 2017 8:39 PM in response to terryinsf

Thanks for that! Worked for me when most of the other solutions didn't (i.e. various combinations of rebooting computers/phones/apps etc.) or turning on or toggling restrictions. Another solution also worked for me - resetting network settings - but that is a pain as you have to re-enter passwords etc. and so far I haven't found what this requires to get back to normal. Unfortunately this is also just a workaround that needs to be repeated each time you want iPhoto and Image Capture to be able to access your iPhone's camera roll. Would be nice to see Apple continue support of some of their older software (Lion) by not breaking things that worked before I updated to iOS 10.

Jun 17, 2017 4:33 PM in response to terryinsf

Hi terryinsf,

I created an account just to say thanks - after trying countless suggestions, and failing with each one, and reaching the brink of despair, your solution worked! Much appreciated!

How did you figure it out?

Either way, thank you so much! I'm very grateful that you took the trouble to post your solution. You've saved me a heck of a lot of hassle.

Great work!

Jun 17, 2017 5:53 PM in response to haroldsdodge

haroldsdodge, thanks for your post and I'm glad this helped you out. I too went through months of despair. I tried every suggestion I could find and nothing worked. Just before arriving at the solution, I discovered I could download the photos to another Macbook with the same old OS, and also to a Windows machine, so I realized the problem was not with my old Snow Leopard install, as I originally thought, and probably related to my phone instead. I still didn't know what the issue was though. I fell asleep trying to troubleshoot this, awoke at 3am and decided to try the last reset on my iPhone that I hadn't already done. Was concerned it might screw things up even more, but at that point my iPhone was no longer very useful and I had little to lose. And behold, it worked!

I do network administration for a living and have been helped out countless times by user's tech posts and writeups of solutions, so made sure to post this. Btw. I discovered the solution on my birthday, which was a great bday present! :-)

Jun 18, 2017 5:04 PM in response to terryinsf

terryinsf,

Awesome detective work! I loved the way you pieced together the solution from the little clues that were lying around!

And, continuing the birthday theme, I discovered your solution on my son's big day, while trying to transfer photos of his party. Without your solution, they could have been stuck in limbo until his next birthday, or even longer!

So, thanks again!

Importing photos to iPhoto, message "iPhone is locked with a passcode"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.