Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp partition not ntfs

I've tried reading around and people simply point links to unanswered questions and manuals. (I downloaded the manuals, followed the steps and they dont talk about the issue.)

I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you!.

I, bought an iMac last week (lion installed), bought a new copy of windows 7 home today. 100% up to date of Software Updates.

I open bootcamp assistent, created my DVD for drivers and hit continue.

Bootcamp does its thing and clicks over to load windows (where my problem starts)

my,

Disk 0 Partition 4: BOOTCAMP

"/!\ Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space" (see above line) "Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS."

I printed a copy of the install guide and followed it from the very first attempt.

Step 1

Check for updates (DONE)

Step 2

Prepare for Mac for Windows (DONE)

Step 3

Install windows (I'm trying but cant because the partition is not NTFS)

Also, I cant eject the install disc to try and see if the driver or anything is on the seperate disc i made.

Step 4 Install the windows support software (cant because I cant install windows)

The first time I tried this, I figured I had to format the Bootcamp partition so I did, windows wouldnt expand files after 30 minutes so I closed it out and got a black screen and blinking bar... finally after unplugging for a while got back to OSX and cleared bootcamp back to original, restarted and tried again. Same issue. (windows cannot be installed... must be... NTFS)

Is my issue the formatting? is that a step that is not listed in the process? I'd rather not brick my mac again. took me 6 hours to load all my FCS and Adobe Suite + misc software. I'd rather not do that again.

sorry, I have been dealing with this for a few hours and a little frustrated. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 1:38 PM

75 replies

Feb 4, 2014 3:05 PM in response to droidika

droidika

I'm having this exact same problem and selecting other options (advanced) and selecting format seems to work. The partition no longer has the name BOOTCAMP and still won't let me select the partition to install on.

edit: Rebooting back into osx show the drive either after formating inthe win7 install where it has no name or leaving it and rebooting so it's still BOOTCAMP shows the drive to be NTFS?

edit2: after format within the windows installer this is the message when selecting the partition: Setup was unable to create new system partition or locate on existing partition

Did you find an answer. Darn, this is so annoying. I'm having the exact same issue as you.

Jan 14, 2013 8:22 AM in response to droidika

Droidika, you did not read the instructions.

1. Bootcamp creates a partition, and also creates the drivers CD

2. BC partition must be formatted within the windows install CD/DVD before the proper installation.

3. You cannot repartition from within the windows installer, you must use the partition created by BC, and just format it prior to installing windows.

Read carefully the Bootcamp instructions. Installing Windows unto an intel mac is entirely simple, provided that you follow the correct steps.

Feb 11, 2017 7:00 PM in response to TILB

First of all do not try and do any of this terminal and disk0 stuff. It is simple and hidden! When on the windows install page. If the error "only accepts GPT" pops up. Simply click shift+f10 type in "List Disk"(Case sensitive!!!!!!)-select the disk you are going to use. For me Disk0 , type in "Select Disk 0"

Then type in "Clean"- 1 more step!!!!! Type in Convert GPT. Then cancel out go back in to the page select the disk you chose select format and done and only one disk should be there. And then press next and voila your all set!!!!!!!!

Feb 11, 2017 7:11 PM in response to SEAGULL03

SEAGULL03 wrote:

First of all do not try and do any of this terminal and disk0 stuff. It is simple and hidden! When on the windows install page. If the error "only accepts GPT" pops up. Simply click shift+f10 type in "List Disk"(Case sensitive!!!!!!)-select the disk you are going to use. For me Disk0 , type in "Select Disk 0"

Then type in "Clean"- 1 more step!!!!! Type in Convert GPT. Then cancel out go back in to the page select the disk you chose select format and done and only one disk should be there. And then press next and voila your all set!!!!!!!!

... and a clean...

clean

clean [all]

Removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk with focus. On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information and hidden sector information are overwritten. On GUID partition table (GPT) disks, the GPT partitioning information, including the Protective MBR, is overwritten; there is no hidden sector information.

all

Specifies that each and every sector on the disk is zeroed, which completely deletes all data contained on the disk.

This includes losing OS X, if present, on the chosen disk, correct?

Jan 1, 2012 1:43 PM in response to TILB

You must run Windows utility for formatting the Boot Camp partition BEFORE installation proper. You must do that even if you install XP. Boot Camp prepares the partition for the proper installation, but does not substitute other functions of Windows installer. BC has two main functions: prepares the partition and simulates BIOS, so that Windows may run. Lion version also creates the drivers CD.

This done, I think you will install W without any problem.

Sep 14, 2012 5:53 PM in response to TILB

Yes, Justin is correct. Within the windows installer is a link called "other options". It is located on the bottom right of the drive selection list. Select the drive you intended to use as the bootcamp partition and click on the other options link. Here there is a option to format. Click format and then click next to proceed through the installation.

Jan 13, 2013 9:06 PM in response to TILB

I'm having this exact same problem and selecting other options (advanced) and selecting format seems to work. The partition no longer has the name BOOTCAMP and still won't let me select the partition to install on.

edit: Rebooting back into osx show the drive either after formating inthe win7 install where it has no name or leaving it and rebooting so it's still BOOTCAMP shows the drive to be NTFS?

edit2: after format within the windows installer this is the message when selecting the partition: Setup was unable to create new system partition or locate on existing partition

Jan 14, 2013 7:02 AM in response to TILB

TILB wrote:

I've tried reading around and people simply point links to unanswered questions and manuals. (I downloaded the manuals, followed the steps and they dont talk about the issue.)

I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you!.

I, bought an iMac last week (lion installed), bought a new copy of windows 7 home today. 100% up to date of Software Updates.

I open bootcamp assistent, created my DVD for drivers and hit continue.

Bootcamp does its thing and clicks over to load windows (where my problem starts)

my,

Disk 0 Partition 4: BOOTCAMP

"/!\ Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space" (see above line) "Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS."

I printed a copy of the install guide and followed it from the very first attempt.

Step 1

Check for updates (DONE)

Step 2

Prepare for Mac for Windows (DONE)

Step 3

Install windows (I'm trying but cant because the partition is not NTFS)

Also, I cant eject the install disc to try and see if the driver or anything is on the seperate disc i made.

Step 4 Install the windows support software (cant because I cant install windows)

The first time I tried this, I figured I had to format the Bootcamp partition so I did, windows wouldnt expand files after 30 minutes so I closed it out and got a black screen and blinking bar... finally after unplugging for a while got back to OSX and cleared bootcamp back to original, restarted and tried again. Same issue. (windows cannot be installed... must be... NTFS)

Is my issue the formatting? is that a step that is not listed in the process? I'd rather not brick my mac again. took me 6 hours to load all my FCS and Adobe Suite + misc software. I'd rather not do that again.

sorry, I have been dealing with this for a few hours and a little frustrated. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Page 6 of the manual (you missed it) covers reformatting the partition.

Read the directions again.

Jan 14, 2013 7:05 AM in response to TILB

TILB wrote:

<snip>

People are are pointing to the links because that is where your question is answered. It is not productive and of little or no value to repeat/repost the information that is already fully explained in the documentation pointed to.

Feb 28, 2013 4:14 PM in response to TILB

Similar problem, Short Answer -- I unmounted all of my external drives before starting, and swapped the order of the "Windows Support Software" implementation.

Long Answer:

Attempting boot camp on late 2012 Mac Mini. Followed Boot Camp Guide explicitly. Installing from iso image on USB drive. When boot camp restarted to install Windows I initially just got stuck with a black screen. However, when I restarted I could "Option Key" boot to the USB drive.

When I reached the install portion where it asked which drive to install onto, it would allow me to format the boot camp partition, but then it gave me the error messages:

Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 4. (Show details)

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu.

Long story short(er):

Back in OSX, I unmounted my external hard drives. (Seems like I should of thought of this the first time, in retrospect.)

I restarted Boot Camp Assistant, but I did not check the box to download the latest Windows support software from Apple. (This still does not seem obvious).

This time boot camp successfully booted up the Windows installer (no stuck black screen) and during the install step to pick a drive I was allowed to select "boot camp" and format for NTFS. Install proceeded without incident. Then I went back and downloaded the Windows support software through Boot Camp Assistant, and successfully installed drivers into Windows. Re-mounted external drives. Windows reads them fine.

Personally, I had to do the previous in exactly the order I specified or the installation failed at one point or another. Six hours later, I'm the proud owner of a Windows boot camp install. Not entirely simple. IMHO.

Mar 1, 2013 8:42 AM in response to unobstreperous

This is completely unrelated to the original post. The message "The selected disk has an MBR partition table" occurs when a computer boots Windows in EFI mode. Windows only uses GPT boot disks when booting with EFI. Windows only uses MBR boot disks when booting with BIOS. Many problems wouldl be resolved if we could reliably EFI boot Windows, but presently only BIOS booting is supported via Boot Camp.

Bootcamp partition not ntfs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.