Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I attach photos to emails?

I can't add photos as attachments in emails. When I send pictures, they cannot be saved or stored in MS Outlook.

How can I send them as attachments as I did with my old 3GS?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 5:56 PM

33 replies

Jan 12, 2012 6:26 PM in response to modular747

That didn't really help. I did exactly as the manual said and it still doesn't attach. Yes, the picture is there in the email - embedded - NOT as an attachment.

The photos are not recognized by MS outlook and therefore cannot be saved. Basically, useless the the receiver. My old 3GS was able to natively email pictures as attachments that were useable and able to be saved by Outlook.

How can I do it with this phone? Apple wouldn't get rid of this - that would make no sense what so ever - so i'm thinking my process is wrong.

Please help!

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2012 9:51 PM in response to Torinate

No, it is not "embedded" (that's not even possible with iOS Mail), and is detachable like any other attachment or attached photo. I've done it hundreds of times, both with OS X Mail and Outlook 2011. Your problem is with your Outlook. You should be posting this question in the Nanosoft forums.

FYI, if you want useful help, post specifiec, detailed info as to your sytem, OS versions, EXACTLY what your did and EXACTLY what happened. Your first post was nearly useles. When you post in Gatesville Forums, aslo include your iOS version, Windoze and Office versions.

Jan 12, 2012 10:17 PM in response to Torinate

I had the same question about sending photos as attachments using iPhone Mail. From what I can tell it's not possible in the conventional email sense, which is absolutely absurd! Obviously Apple OS "designers" (not the engineers) expect us to levitate and telepathcally send our attachments over the cloud or something, or wait for smarter 3rd party Apps to offer confusing non-integrated solutions. I lament for the old fashioned "get'er" done all inclusive email of old. Apple = De-evolution in this case.

So far the work around to emailing photos or any files, is to open the Photos app (or various confusing 3rd party apps), select the 'square icon with arrow inside' , choose your photos and then select 'Share'. Of course you're limited to photos, this doesn't let you send docs, pdfs, etc etc.

Why does Apple have to make it so incredibly difficult to attach files to emails.

Jan 13, 2012 6:56 AM in response to modular747

Thanks for this helpful information.

I'll try to make it more understandable for you.

Perhaps embed is the wrong word but it describes it perfectly.

My 3GS would attach pictures. OS 4.0.1. You could email pictures that were attached so that Outlook would recognize them as jpegs. You can save them on the computer.

My 4S can only send pictures in the email. They are part of the email, not attached to it. Outlook does not recognize these pictures and therefore cannot save them.

This is 100% the phones issue and not Outlooks. I can email you so you can see the difference if it would help you understand.

In summary; 3GS sends pics as attachments and are recognized as attachments in Outlook. 4S can't. It only sends them as email that are not recognized by Outlook as attachments and are useless as they cannot be saved.

I'm hoping this is user error.

With your knowledge, please show me how to send them properly so outlook recognizes them so I can save them.

Jan 13, 2012 10:28 AM in response to razmee209

I don't understand then.

My 3GS did that as well. Nothing has changed with my Outlook since using my old phone. This is what the problem is. My 3GS did this flawlessly but my 4S it just plain doesn't work the same way.

When you send the photos, does it ask you if you want to send them as attachments or do it automatically? The 3GS it asked me. The 4S it doesn't - just puts them into the body of the email.

Do you have a 4S with 5.0.1?

This should work fine. But it just doesn't. It's obviously causing me frustration because the absolute only change us the phone.

Please let me know what phone you have and if it asks to attach or not.

Thank you very much. I really do appreciate the help.

Jan 13, 2012 10:30 AM in response to Torinate

I understood you perfectly the first time.

1. It is NOT POSSIBLE FOR THE IPHONE TO SEND THE PICTURE "AS PART OF THE EMIAL, NOT ATTACHED TO IT."

2. If you see the picture within the email when viewing it it Outook, Outlook is automatically previewing it for you.

3. I just sent a picture via email to my computer (a Macbook Air) which as Office 2011 (OS X version). The picture was attached the usual way, with no preview. Interestingly, OS X Mail does automatically show the picture so it appears as part of the email, below the text, but also indicates the attachment..

4. YOUR PROBLEM IS WITH OUTLOOK. Either it's malfunctioning or you don't know how to use it. You still haven't told me what version you use (or what computer OS) as I requested. Did you update/upgrade it recently?

Jan 13, 2012 10:38 AM in response to modular747

Interesting.

Just tried both phones again.

3GS. Attachment. No problem

4S. Broken. Picture is part of the body of the email. Not attached. Doesn't take a genius to see the difference. Not trying to argue, but this 4S just plain won't do it the same way as the 3GS. Believe me, I wish it did. I really don't like being here and being talked to like I'm an idiot. May not be possible to be in the body of the email, but that's just what's happening.

Are you on a 4S with 5.0.1?

Outlook is the same. Same account. Back to back emails. One works one doesn't. Yes, I'm frustrated.

Jan 13, 2012 10:40 AM in response to Toaray

iPhone, same as Mac, Mail app ATTACHES the picture to the email, just as all email programs do and as Mail has lays done and still does. We're all doing it on daily basis without a hitch. What's probably confusing you is that Mail, unlike some other email applications, ALSO previews the attached picture in the body of the email.

Jan 13, 2012 10:42 AM in response to Torinate

When you send the photos, does it ask you if you want to send them as attachments or do it automatically? The 3GS it asked me. The 4S it doesn't - just puts them into the body of the email.

No, It certaily does, in fact adds options,

1. You're confusing the phone model vs iOS version. If you had iOS 5.0.1 in the 3GS, the method and options would appear the same.

2. Select photo in Photo App and select send (curved arrow icon). You then get a list of options > Email Photo, Message, Assign to Contact, Use as Wallpaper, Tweet, Print.

3. If you select "Email Photo", the photo is attatched to the email, though appears in the body.

4. When you "Send" the email, you then get various size options.

5. Email delevered to Outlook with attatchment (no auto-preview in the body)

How do I attach photos to emails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.