Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups."

Got this message just now:

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you."

This is the second time in the last three weeks that Time Machine has decided my backup is toast and is wanting to create a new one. I have other Macs backing up to the same backup device without a problem. The backup device is clean and working. It sucked bad enough to lose a year and a half of backup history last time, but this is now looking like a bigger and far more annoying problem. Any clues?

H.

New (Aug 2010) Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 8-core Xeon, 16G ECC RAM, 0+1 RAID

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 10:35 AM

84 replies

Nov 12, 2017 7:48 AM in response to hoppah

Hello,

I have the same problem after I upgraded my MacAir and the MacMini running the latest Mac Server application to High Sierra.

Another MacAir, still running Sierra, has no problems.

It ran OK for approx a week (after an automatic bug-upgrade??) Then getting this error.

I made a new backup (48 hrs, 290 GB) that completed correctly.

The next backup, gave the same error message!!!

Backing up on a USB disk is OK.

Jan 30, 2012 5:37 PM in response to Pondini

I did. There's nothing in there about a *cause*. The link only contains info to the effect of "your backup is toast and a new one will be created." I'm trying to figure out *why* this happens every two weeks since I installed Lion, and *why* it only happens on one of three Macs I have running Lion and backing up using Time Machine to the same destination, and *why* there don't appear to be any diagnostics anywhere to assist me in determining the cause.

H.

Jan 30, 2012 6:38 PM in response to hoppah

hoppah wrote:

I missed none of it, and it does not apply. None of it's on wireless - it's all wired -

Too bad you didn't bother to mention that earlier. But you still may have network problems.

If the stuff in the pink box applied, all three Macs would have trouble with their backups. But only one is.

Not necessarily. A loose or frayed cable, plug that doesn't fit securely, etc. could be the culprit. Ditto power problems.

Another thing you didn't mention -- what are you backing-up to (all you say is "backup device")?

Are all the Macs running Lion (your profile says 10.6.4, but you've posted in the Lion forum)? If not, what are the ones that work ok running, vs the other one?

Jan 30, 2012 8:25 PM in response to Pondini

If you read my posts you'd note that I covered every point. If there were a loose or frayed cable I would see network errors on the links between the client and the server. I don't - which I mentioned. I specifically mention that all devices are running Lion and that only one is having trouble. I am backing up to a network attached storage device. This NAS has run just fine for quite some time and has hosted TimeMachine backups on my Macs for well over a year. This problem has only begun since I installed Lion, and it only exists on one Mac's backup set.

H.

Jan 30, 2012 8:54 PM in response to hoppah

hoppah wrote:

If you read my posts you'd note that I covered every point.

Not entirely. You didn't mention being all wired, or specify the destination.

If there were a loose or frayed cable I would see network errors on the links between the client and the server.

Most likely, but not necessarily. If you haven't, try a different cable (and port, if possible) to the Mac in question.

I specifically mention that all devices are running Lion

Yes, in the 5th post. I missed that, sorry. 😟 Probably distracted by the 10.6.8 in your profile.

I am backing up to a network attached storage device.

What make & model?

Also, what router do you have? If it's an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule, there's a firmware update and an Airport Utility update out today.

Jan 30, 2012 9:08 PM in response to Pondini

The destination is a Time Machine server running on a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Business NAS. The NAS is running 6x 2TB Seagate Enterprise-class SATA drives. The network isn't the issue. I install and diagnose networks for a living. There would necessarily be errors. I have equipment that meters them to excruciating detail, not only on every port, but also via separate data-gathering mechanisms including a sniffer, an RMON probe and Netflow, as well as SYSLOG monitoring. There are not only no Layer-2 port errors, there are no L2 or L3 retransmits of any type during the data transfer. There is no router between my Mac and the NAS. The destination NAS is attached to its network switch with twin Gig-E ports bonded using LACP. The Macs are all connected to that same switch with single Gig-E ports.

The only thing of any significance that has changed in this environment is the upgrade to Lion. And the error happens almost like clockwork, every two weeks.

H.

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.