Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks Author change background of template

How do you change the background color of a template in iBooks Author?

I have gone into the layouts option.

Clicked on the background.

Opened the Inspector.

Clicked on the Metrics Box

And it says

File Info

"Green_paper_background_a.jpg"

But there doesn't seem to be an option to change it.

Is it possible to get a different background color. I'd like a shade of blue.

Help.

(But before I go I have to say, its a pretty impressive program!)

iBook

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:18 PM

At the point where you have the background selected, go up to the Arrange menu, and select Unlock. You can then toss out the background, and drag another one into place.

I'm not sure though, about what size to use. It seems to be wanting 1024 by 748, but I thought the iPad was 768. Also, I an curious about how this will be affected with future iPads with higher resolution screens.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2012 8:18 PM in response to iRevDr

At the point where you have the background selected, go up to the Arrange menu, and select Unlock. You can then toss out the background, and drag another one into place.

I'm not sure though, about what size to use. It seems to be wanting 1024 by 748, but I thought the iPad was 768. Also, I an curious about how this will be affected with future iPads with higher resolution screens.

Jan 21, 2012 3:38 PM in response to iRevDr

Do you mean you permanently want to change the built-in template? It would probably be better to copy one of them, and then alter the copy. Anyway, yes you can access those images - they are part of the application bundle itself.

Go to the application in the Finder, Control click on it, and select 'Show Package Contents'. Under Contents/Resources/Templates/ you will see the six template bundles. Again, Control click on one of them, and select 'Show Package Contents. You should be able to find the image in there.

Please note that I don't know what happens if you change one of them.I think it should be no problem, but I would quit the app first before trying this, and also make a backup copy.

Jan 21, 2012 6:35 PM in response to Dave Bull

Hi Dave,

I tried what you suggested, but it wasn't obvious or easy.

I quickly realised I was getting out of my depth.

I can see where you are headed, but I wasn't confident to do it without really messing things up.

I might just put up with the green background untill apple offer some easier ways to change the color or provide more templates.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jan 21, 2012 6:55 PM in response to iRevDr

But remember that you don't have to change the internal structure of the template just to change any particular page (or type of page). From the View menu, select 'Show Layouts'. Then in the Layout section, select the particular type of page you wish to change. Over in the right pane, drag in a standard rectangular shape. Using the Metrics pane of the Inspector, change it to 1024 by 748. Set the position at 0 and 0. Then from the Arrange Menu, select Send to Back. In the Graphic section of the Inspector, select the type of fill/colour/opacity/etc. that you want.

From now on, every instance of that type of page (as you selected in the Layout section) will have that background.

Feb 10, 2012 1:44 PM in response to iRevDr

I wanted to do the same. I've first unlocked that green paper and then copied it out.

Edited the color from green to brown in Photoshop, and saved it under another name.

Dragged that into the templates, and arranged it at the background. Locked it again.

Then I changed type color to dark brown as well. Now I have a brown template book.

I also had that Apple pic on top of everything. I simply removed it, reveiling what's behind.

HTH - Stefan

Feb 10, 2012 2:35 PM in response to MediaTycoon

MediaTycoon wrote:

I wanted to do the same. I've first unlocked that green paper and then copied it out.

Edited the color from green to brown in Photoshop, and saved it under another name.

Dragged that into the templates, and arranged it at the background. Locked it again.

Then I changed type color to dark brown as well. Now I have a brown template book.

I also had that Apple pic on top of everything. I simply removed it, reveiling what's behind.

HTH - Stefan

I suspected this would work. I just haven't had time to try it yet as part of creating new templates.

I have been very successful in creating new types of chapters and pages on the fly using the placeholder function. I merely DUPLICATE to work with a new page or chapter. You can drag and drop pages between book too.

My first quick and dirty iBook was an "Using iBooks Author" Manual pulling Apple's IA help files together so I could view them on the iPad.

When I get around to it I will update that file. If others would like to work with what I started and help update it I will give them share to .iba on BOX or DropBox for that purpose. My upload limit is 100MB per file on BOX.

Here is the folder link to my finished first draft of file built on Apple's instructions in iBooks format.

http://www.box.com/shared/t76yqfdl6p470abx4s3r

All that information is pretty much just all Apple moved to iBook format as I tested a few features of iBooks Author. I created that iBook as a tool for helping my friends deal with the new IA program.

Feb 11, 2012 9:08 AM in response to iRevDr

If you only want to change colour of the template background, try this:

• View (toolbar icon) > Show Layouts.

• Click on the chapter page

• Go up to Arrange (top menu) > Unlock

Now you can access the Adjust Image palette. It's the left icon right under the View icon in the toolbar. This will allow you to play with the look of that background colour.

(A big thanks to you guys, btw. I was stuck on how to select that background in order to play with it.)

Carolyn

iBooks Author change background of template

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.