Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free Books Account and Paid Books Account

Have some basic questions:

On day one I created a "Free Books Account" and that was straight forward. Done.

In the future I want to sell my books so of course I will need a "Paid Books Account" so my questions are:

1. It seems you need to create a second account for the paid book, I assume no way to convert you current free account, can I use teh same Apple ID to set up the paid account?

2. Do you pay Apple an anuall fee to have a paid books account like you do if your an iPhone APP developer (it look like you do not but I'm unsure)

I'm in Canada and after looking at the "Requirements" for the Paid Books I'm again unsure how this all works.

Technical Requirements, of course that is fine. Done.

Content Requirements, it asks for ISBNs and EPUB formats, how is this done and I thought the idea was you use "iBooks Author" and that is it to get your book into the iTunes Book Store. So do I need ISBN and EPUB before I'm alowed to sell a book, do you pay for this ?

Financial Requirements, A US TAX ID, I assume I can apply for that OK being in Canada?

Once this is all set up, if someone buys a book I get my cut of the money from Apple how does it work with regards to Canadian TAXs, anyone know?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 8:46 AM

14 replies

Jan 23, 2012 9:27 AM in response to Ray Allen

Apple does not provide ISBNs.

You will need a digital ISBN for each title you expect to sell - they cost money, and the more you buy, the less cost per. Goggle is your friend...there are tons of services - pick one that fits your particular needs, etc.

You do not pay any fee to Apple to be in the program, unlike the Mac App Developer, iOS Developer and Enterprise Programs which require an annual fee.

Jan 23, 2012 2:29 PM in response to ollymac

Quote:

Can't I set all this up via iTunes in the UK?

That would be nice but I think it has to be in the country where the publisher (In this case Apple inc.) has the HQ. In this case the US. Kindle is the same, you have to register with the US IRS. The UK Customs and Revenue has an arrangement with the IRS and *eventually* your tax should be reconciled.

I am not happy about the prospect of Apple taking 30% and the US IRS taking 30% but 40% is better than zilch.

Mar 28, 2012 7:43 AM in response to Gregg Mojica

I submitted my textbook yesterday, so it should take about a week, right?

While anything is possible, I doubt it would be that quick. My guess based on anecdotal reports is more like 2 to 8 weeks before it makes it thru the gauntlet. There are many details that have to line up and many people in line with you - good luck in any case.

Free Books Account and Paid Books Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.