Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert UPPERCASE to lowercase in Pages

FYI:

I had to do the above and did a search in this discussion. I found a few threads from 2009 dealing with this. Most of them recomended downloading "Wordservice" and using it under Pages > Services. I did not have time to try that but I assume it still works.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1953274?start=0&tstart=0

But if you are in a hurry, I discovered a web based solution. I figured I would post it in case someone else runs into the same problem. (I couldn't add it to the original discussions because they are archived).

There is a converter site which allows you to so that easily:

http://www.convertcase.net/

This is in case the basic Format > Font > Capitalization does not work of course.

Bo

(I don't know who runs that site and have no affiliation with it but it worked for me.)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 12:27 PM

28 replies

Jan 22, 2012 1:35 PM in response to Baudouin Struye

Format > Font > Capitalize

Behave flawlessly but it doesn't achieve what is assumed by most users.

It just apply the style "Capitalize" which means that a string will remain stored as Thelonious Monk but will be displayed as THELONIOUS MONK. Same behavior if we trigger Format > Font > lowercase. The stored string remain unchanged but would be displayed as thelonious monk.

WordService as well as the linked webSite really change the stored string.

I ignore this kind of site because, as I am old fashioned, when I create a document I dislike to send it on the net.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) dimanche 22 janvier 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

PS: It's time to prepare the iDisk removal so I will no longer give my iDisk link in my signature.

Jan 22, 2012 1:53 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Merci Yvan.

However saying that it "Behave flawlessly" is a bit of a stretch. That may be the case on a purely academic level but if the end result is that I am still seeing THELONIOUS MONK, then, as far as the user is concerned, it simply did not work at all.

And that is where Wordservice and that convertcase site do provide a real solution.

But thank you for the technical explanation nonetheless.

Bo

Jan 22, 2012 2:19 PM in response to Baudouin Struye

The app apply what it is designed to achieve.

I type Thelonious Monk so it's this string which is stored.

I decide that I want to display the string in UPPERCASE.

I trigger : Format > Font > UPPERCASE

Then the app display : THELONIOUS MONK

But as I just applied a style, the stored text remain Thelonious Monk.

If now I apply the style lowercase,

the app will display thelonious monk.

But the stored text remain Thelonious Monk.

What the app, is unable to achieve is to change the stored contents when we apply a style.

It's exactly the same behavior than the one applying in a spreadsheet.

If I type 12.3456 in the cell B2 and ask the app to display two decimal figures it will display 12.35

but if I insert =B2*10 in cell C2, the result will be 123.456 because the internal contents of the cell isn't changed by the applied style.

The external tools like WordService are useful for users wanting to change the stored strings.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) dimanche 22 janvier 2012

Jan 22, 2012 10:15 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Yvan, isn't so that opening documents created in other format might have text in uppercase and that text can't Pages change to lower case? I think Pages does what it shold do for its own original documents.

I use WordServices quite lot to change uppercase to lower case on text taken from other applications. I mean I paste the text into a Pages document and do this.

Jan 23, 2012 2:08 AM in response to fruhulda

Hi Fruhulda.

I don't know other applications behaving like iWork ones.

Those which I'm aware of, change the stored string when we apply UPPERCASE, lowercase or Title format to a string.

So, when we import these docs, the strings are stored the same in the new Pages document.

Something is bothering me this morning.

I was sure that I applied the lowercase style from Pages but it seems that I was wrong.

This morning I have only four entries in the menu :

None

All Caps

Small Caps

Title

So, if we import a piece of text in which we want to change a string from UPPERCASE to lowercase, we have no embedded tool available to achieve this goal, even with a style.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 23 janvier 2012

Jan 23, 2012 11:53 AM in response to Barry

Hi Barry

It seems that I met a connoisseur 😉

I was just listening the CD Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall (recorded by Voice of America).

In this one, the bass was played by Ahmed Abdul-Malik.

Shadow Wilson was at drums.

There is a funny FBI ANTI-PIRACY WARNING logo on the box backside.

Back to Pages, I forgot the table's functions when I wrote "we have no embedded tool available to achieve this goal".

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 23 janvier 2012

Mar 9, 2012 7:31 AM in response to Baudouin Struye

I had this problem too. It doesn't seem like there is a pure conversion from uppercase letters in Pages. However I solved the problem by copying the text over to TextEdit and then under the Edit -> Transformations -> Make Text Lowercase menu I made the text lowercase. Then I copied the text back to Pages. When the text is lowercase then the Format->Font->Capitization menu works as you would expect it to.

Seems a bit like an oversight to me. It would be nice to have a transformation option in pages just like in TextEdit.

Convert UPPERCASE to lowercase in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.