Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering old Voice Mail Messages.

My wife recently reset her iPhone 4 and lost all of her saved voice mail messages. She was able to retrieve messages from the past month. Though she really wants to recover some messages that were up to a year old. These messages were from her mother who passed away in the end for December. Does anyone have a suggestion on how these can be recovered?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 5:45 AM

I know this is a very old thread, but do you think my itunes account has to be backed up on the computer to be able to extract voicemails after switching carriers? I think mine is only backed up to the cloud. I lost voicemails from my dad who passed last year

47 replies

Jan 22, 2017 2:31 PM in response to Kelly Wilkerson

This worked really well for me. I am not affiliated with the company in any way, FWIW. I accidentally deleted all of my voicemails by tapping Clear All when I was in the Deleted Items view - it somehow deleted not only my deleted items, but everything in my inbox. This included precious voicemails from my late father-in-law. I tried a bunch of different ways to restore them (Backup Restore, file system utilities, etc.) with no luck. I decided to try Decipher Voicemail and it totally worked. There is a bug that prevented .amr files from being associated with a new app after I changed the association, but converting to MP3 worked. I also now have local copies of all of my voicemails from my backups on two phones, one of which died a couple of years ago, but I still had the backups.

Thanks for sharing this solution - I have all of the voicemails permanently archived now and accessible.

Jan 22, 2012 6:38 PM in response to arearef

Usually, Voicemail messages are held in the phone company servers and these messages expire after a certain period of time (usually 14 days with AT&T). These "expired" messages are deleted automatically from the servers at the phone company and they cannot be recovered. The iPhone itself cannot save this messages on its internal memory.

Hope this helps.

May 9, 2014 3:54 PM in response to arearef

The first thing I would recommend is to make sure that the reset phone is logged-in to visual voicemail.

1. Open your Settings app, and make sure your voicemail password is entered in the phone section of settings.
  2. Call yourself from your phone and enter your pin at the voice prompt. Make note of whether your messages are still in the voice version of your mailbox.
  3. Next, have someone else call you and leave a voicemail. See if your phone pops up the alert that you have a voicemail, and see if you can listen to it in visual voicemail.

If you're connected up to visual voicemail, but none of the old messages are available, you can see what messages you have in older backups using third-party software. I work on Decipher VoiceMail, a program that will let you recover deleted voicemails from your iPhone backups by allowing you to see your full voicemail history that was accessible in all of your iPhone backups. The software looks for your iTunes backups automatically and presents you with the log of your voicemails organized by contacts.

(Note: As I mentioned, I work for the company that develops Decipher VoiceMail that I recommended, so I stand to benefit from my recommendations here.)

Jan 23, 2012 7:53 AM in response to arearef

As far as my personal experience goes, the only things that get saved in iTunes are apps, contacts, music, videos, and settings. I have done iPhone restores in the past but I don't recall any of my old voice messages getting restored. The only messages that were "restored" per se, were the ones in the telephone company servers.

However, during a quick google search I found an article talking about the iPhone voicemail app and how to recover deleted messages. I don't know if it will help but it might be worth a shot. The article link is below:

http://i.tuaw.com/2011/09/16/iphone-101-recovering-deleted-voicemails/

Good Luck!

Mar 6, 2017 6:23 PM in response to arearef

I just spend the past 3 days in tears because I switched carriers from Verizon to T Mobile, and all of my voicemails were gone. I had several that had a lot of sentimental value to me from family members who have passed. I was completely heart broken after speaking with multiple reps from Verizon, T Mobile, and Apple and they all told me that nothing could be done and the voicemails were gone forever. After reading through this thread, I decided to try iExplorer, as per someone's suggestion. POOF! All of my precious voicemails were on my computer within seconds!!! Thank you so much for the suggestions and I hope this helps someone else. I am so grateful to the makers of this program! 😍

www.macroplant.com/iexplorer

Jan 23, 2012 8:27 AM in response to vea1083

Reading further in the article I posted you can recover deleted messages in your iPhone. Just go into visual voicemail and in the message list just scroll down to the bottom of the list. You should see a button labeled as "deleted messages", tap the button and a list messages will show. Try to look for your wife's late mother messages.

Hope this helps.

Sep 24, 2012 7:41 AM in response to arearef

My iPhone 3G was lost or stolen yesterday. I've been saving voicemail messages from my daughter for the past few years (From age 6 to 9). Those messages are gone from the voicemail Cloud now, but have been retained on my phone. Are they saved anywhere on my computer or in iTunes? I've cherished those messages and it breaks my heart if they are gone.

Recovering old Voice Mail Messages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.