Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Browser .PDF forms wont' work

I am so frustrated right now. Can someone please guide me on how to open, fill out, and submit .PDF forms using ANY broswer (I don't care which one) on the MAC?

I've tried extensions, plug ins, Adobe reader itself, Adobe Pro, reading for 2 days and for the life of me I can't fill out and submit forms on Safari, Firefox, OR Chorome.

My frustration is multiplied by the fact that this worked in safari before I updated to 10.6.8, which also updated Safari to 5.1.2 at the same time.

I've read in several places that there is an issue with Adobe and Safari, but to not be able to accomplish this in any browser is unbelievable to me.

I have the latest of everything, browsers, OS, adobe, you name it I've updated it.

Can someone please help me throught this?? I would be so greatful !!!

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 1:57 PM

24 replies

Jan 25, 2012 6:05 PM in response to kurt188

Thanks for your reply...

Yes, it was created as a form to be filled out, AND submitted and both must happen from within the browser.

I would link you to the form, but it's accessed through a password protected site.

On Safari- it shows up, and I can fill it out, just fine. THe problem occurs when I go to 'save and submit later' or 'submit now'

On Firefox.. forget it... the closest I've come is with the schubert-it program and that displays the form but that's it. I can't enter data let a lone submit or save

On Chrome, using the Chrome plugin, I can fill out parts of the form but not other parts. The 'other parts' revert to 0 if I enter say, 32. (number fields). The other problem with Chrome is I can hit submit, but not save for later. I can't get the adboe plug in to show up in the chrome list of plugins, only the chrome plugin.

I will give you any other info possible that you need to help.. I am litterally going insane and on day two of this.

Jan 25, 2012 6:15 PM in response to PDXREALTOR

Okay, let's just assume for the sake of argument that you can't submit the form through the browser? Can you submit it any other way, say fax or email, or is that prohibited?

As for the problem itself, if you have the Adobe Reader Plug-In installed, can you do a Save As… to save what you entered? Try that and then open that saved document to see if all of your entries are still there (don't close the browser window or tab).

I am litterally going insane and on day two of this.

Don't do that; therapy is expensive.

Jan 25, 2012 6:57 PM in response to kurt188

Thanks very much for your help and for asking someone about this.

FYI - this happened to me a couple months ago after the upgrade. At that point I reverted back, it was a huge pain as I'd updated the OS as well.

I would like to utilize the iCloud and other Lion features so reverting back would be a real bummer....

Actually heading out to buy the magic mouse.. give myself a break from this nightmare!

Thanks again!,, hopefully you can get some info.

Jan 25, 2012 8:32 PM in response to PDXREALTOR

Okay, here's an idea suggested by a Level 9 person that I should have thought of, but I've been up more than 12 hours already, so the mind gets a bit fuzzy after awhile.

In Safari (or even Firefox), try changing the User Agent to IE (version 7, 8, and/or 9; try them all if one doesn't work), since odd things like this usually happen when stupid webmasters design sites for Windows IE users, rather than using Web Standards.

Jan 26, 2012 10:47 PM in response to PDXREALTOR

Well still no solution. It's unfortunate that a company as innovative as APPLE always seems to fall short in the most basic areas. Never will understand it.

At this point I've given up. I got a copy of virtual box and Windows 7 for the one task I use every day, which worked in Safari 5.0.6.

Thanks all for the help. If anyone comes across this and has other suggestions I'm open to trying anything. As frustrated as I am with Apple and the Mac it's still my OS of choice.

Aug 21, 2012 6:19 AM in response to PDXREALTOR

had the same problem but found a workaround. If you have created your form in Adobe Acrobat Professional X you will have to first choose file and then save as your form and select reader extended pdf and select enable additional features. The will allow your users to save a copy of the form as well as the data in the fields. once this has been done you simple email it to yourself and open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader on the iPad then select the printer and and select print on the iPad. But the key to making this all work the form must forst be ceated in Adobe Acrobat Professional version X or greater. I have tried this and it works fine, it will also enable your form users to save the form and print to any printer with the saved field data. Hope this helps. I contacted Adobe and they say that they do not provide any support for the airprint feature. I suspect that the print protocol for the field data created in Adobe is not recognized by the airprint application. But if they investigate why we are able to print it only after saving it in reader extended pdf followed by enable additional features they should be able to resolve this issue by examining the difference between both print protocols. Hope this helps. If anyone out their has found a better way please let me know.

Rick

Nov 21, 2012 9:22 AM in response to RickTunon

We're dealing with this exact issue - I blame Adobe for this sort of issue, but I would like to know if anyone has found a way for people to fill out and submit a PDF on the Mac. Currently, Safari submits the PDF, but then hangs; Firefox won't open the inline PDF, and since I need to send request parameters to the PDF, saving the PDF loses all that info, making that a non-starter; Chrome does the same thing as Firefox (Mac OS 10.7.2 and 10.6.8). Firefox and IE on windoze work fine, but we want all our users to be able to fill out AND submit the PDF.

Any help would be most appreciated!

In Browser .PDF forms wont' work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.