Previous 1 2 3 Next 174 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2014 2:47 PM by lizburkinshaw Branched to a new discussion.
Radoslav Level 1 (0 points)

Well... I`m from Bulgaria and want to publish books with Ibooks Author. I read everything for IRS and ITIN ect, contact with four US tax consulting companies and US embassy here, But I need to fly to London or Paris to local office of IRS where accredited notary make a copy of my ID card...


I just want to sell e-book in Apple store, I no want to start a company or business in US or something...


I know how for 90% from of you that's is not a problem because you a US citizens, but for international authors this is nightmare :|


Once again, please not delete my post I know for other posts here for US TAX ID, but if Anyone can give ANY suggestion for easy way to get this Tax ID and publish book please say it. Thanks.


p.s. I perfectly know this is the law, but the procedure is so complicated and very close to impossible...

  • K T Level 7 (23,705 points)

    If you don't pay taxes in the US, you don't need a US tax id.... Taxes for you are local to your region.

  • Radoslav Level 1 (0 points)

    From official FAQ section


    Do I need a U.S. Tax ID?

    A U.S. Tax ID is required as part of the iTunes Connect sign-up and authentication process to sell books on the iBookstore. This requirement also applies to publishers outside the U.S. To request a U.S. Tax ID from the IRS, click here. Be sure to enter your U.S. Tax ID correctly when applying. If you are prompted to complete U.S. tax forms on iTunes Connect, you must use the same U.S. Tax ID.

  • fredericmutter Level 1 (0 points)

    You need a US TAX and take a look at the webpage of the IRS


    Note: International applicants must call (267) 941-1099 (Not a toll-free number).


    just call and wait (a lot) and answer the question like name, address, etc..


    it is very easy indeed

  • trilogy1000 Level 1 (45 points)

    I'm in Australia so in the same boat. I have the forms here but one section asks for a letter from your employee stating why I need the Tax ID. In this instance that would be Apple I assume. I'm going to try to get to the US Consulate through the week and get it sorted - it's looking like it's going to be a hassle.

  • jlc1978 Level 1 (10 points)

    You should simply send a letter from yourself as a self-employed entity. The IRS is actually quite good at answering questions - I'd send an email, explain what you are trying to do and see what they say. As a side note, you'll wind up havng to fill out US tax forms, do quarterly witholding, etc., as a result.


    I'd chack with an Aussie tax advisor who is familar with US laws to see what you are getting into.

  • clasqm Level 1 (0 points)

    FWIW Smashwords has a reasonably clear explanation for their authors:


  • trilogy1000 Level 1 (45 points)

    Yeah, I'm not sure whether I'm  getting  more or less confused. The Smashwords site says "When you apply for an ITIN or EIN, the IRS requires you also provide a hand-signed letter from Smashwords, written on Smashwords letterhead, stating your reason for requesting an ITIN."


    Cetainly the impression I got was that the letter had to be by the payor (in this case Apple) but hopefully the Consulate or IRS can clarify. I wonder if Apple will, like Smashwords, be offering the letter.

  • jlc1978 Level 1 (10 points)



    I doubt Apple would offer the letter - the ITIN is used to identify individuals, for tax purposes, who are not eligible for a social security number. An EIN is used by a company to identify itself for tax purposes, and does not require a letter. You can apply for an EIN online at IRS.GOV and get one instantly.  Per thr IRS, one reason to get an EIN is if you:


    Are a foreign person and need an EIN to comply with IRS withholding regulations (from IRS.GOV)


    I'd seek competent tax advice from someone, in your country, that can explain the ins and outs. If you get an EIN the US IRS will expect annual tax returns, even if you are not a US citizen.  They will tax any income from the sales of your book, even as a non-US citizien not in the US selling a book to someone outside of the US, but how and how much depends on a lot of things, which is why you really need to get some good advice from a real tax professional.

  • AodhFFXI Level 1 (40 points)

    To get an EIN you need an ITIN or SIN.  So you're stuck getting an ITIN.

  • clasqm Level 1 (0 points)

    This is getting ridiculous. At least Smashwords gives authors the choice: don't want to get involved with the IRS? Just pay the 30% withholding tax and try to avoid the double taxation in your own country. As I understand it, Apple does not give us that option.

  • Radoslav Level 1 (0 points)

    Apple no send letter, I`m sure... For Smashwords option, if I publish book now, make a few purchases from myself and hit $10 requirement, from their faq section I understand the letter will be send in next 4-6 weeks- very long period, after that 8 weeks for IRS and what- If I want to publish book in best situation this will be possible after half year :|...


    Thank you jlc1978 for advice to send letter from myself, may be this is possible, may be not, but four tax companies say me IRS want letter from US employer- one kind for guarantee. I write to Amazon Kindle service too with request letter, but in Apple site no find any email for contacts by publishing needs.


    For my personal ID card next week I will go to our Ministry of Foreign Affairs for notarized copy with Apostille and I think I can get one.

  • tndom Level 1 (40 points)

    AodhFFXI, this is not true. You do not need an SSN or ITIN to apply for an EIN. If you are applying for an EIN for withholding regulations, providing either is optional.


    I also don't believe the IRS expect annual tax returns if you have an EIN, although I have yet to find hard evidence to corroborate this.

  • tndom Level 1 (40 points)

    Here we are.



    Scroll to page 8.


    You only need to file if you (generally speaking) earn over $9,500.


    Edit- Actually, that's for individuals, not for businesses. Hmmm...

  • tndom Level 1 (40 points)

    Can't seem to find anything now, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to file if you have an EIN because you applied for that EIN to comply with withholding regulations. Thus, you have no employees to file for, and I think most of us here are unlikely to earn over that $9,500.

Previous 1 2 3 Next