Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off automatic keyframing in motion 5.0.2?

Hello,

I've just updated to Motion 5.0.2 and now, everytime I move an object, all the parameters (scale, position, rotation) start to create keyframes, while most of the time I don't want that (that's why you turn on the recorder, right?). Is there a way to turn that off again? It's very frustrating.

Kind regards, Pepijn

G5, MacPro, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 4:19 AM

19 replies

Feb 1, 2012 7:11 AM in response to pepijnb

This issue has created an unworkable situation for me. Am I the only one with this problem? I really think this is a bug in 5.0.2 that wasn't there in previous versions.

If this is 'just the case' in Motion 5.0.2 I'd love to return to Motion 5.0.1. So if there is no way of turning off the automatic keyframing, does anybody know where I can find an old install-file? I'm becoming quite desperate here and have a LOT of Motion-work to do this week 😟

Feb 1, 2012 4:19 PM in response to fox_m

No, i'm very sure I haven't. And as Cupique has the same issue as I have, It seems I'm not the only one.

Once I return to 5.0.1 (which i copied from time machine) the problem is gone. But as soon as I start 5.0.2 again, it returns. It happens at every object that already has 1 or more keyframes (like: position_x) and when I drag the object at any given frame, it generates a keyframe for all the parameters (eg. Position_x) that already have a keyframe somewhere in the timeline. (I can make a short screencast for you tomorrow).

In 5.0.1 it used to change all the keyframes in that timeline likewise (eg. Position_x -10) when the recorder was off, but now it behaves as if the recorder is always on and it changes the parameters only at that given frame by creating a keyframe and curves to the other frame(s).

For now I just continue in 5.0.1, but I did like the notible speed enhances in 5.0.2, but it became totally unusable for me.

Feb 1, 2012 5:54 PM in response to pepijnb

that's very interesting...

why do you need a single keyframe and have the object NOT do anything else in the play range?

In my copy of M5 .2, if I set a position keyframe, the only keys automatically created are positions. For scaling, I had to manually add a scaling key to start recording scales. Automatic keyframing does not fire keys for position, scale, rotation, etc., unless I start one.

However, they will automatically keep recording while playing the timeline (just as if Record is enabled). According to the manual:

Choose Mark > Recording Options.

Select “Don’t Record keyframes during playback.”

And motion will not record changes while the project is playing.

Also, it is still possible to move the entire keyframe/motion path. Command-option click anywhere on the path and you can drag it around. You can drag around only segments of the path by simply clicking on the path between two keyframes and reposition it. Etc... (it's all in the manual.)

If I switch over and use the "Record Method", then the "Initial Keyframe" method is not used.

And, if you just need to start over without keyframes, there's the Transform reset button which clears all keyframes in a click.

It all seems very cool to me.

Feb 2, 2012 1:16 AM in response to fox_m

Oh, thank you for pointing out this. I tried to search the manual but didn't find the solution back then. There wasn't any mention of this in the keyframing methods -section, so I thought there was no way to move paths anymore.

There are still some minor annoyances with this update (at least I haven't figured it out), like if you have an object with a path and try to scale it to the left/right. It then creates a new position keyframe because the center of the object moves. Only solution i did find was to scale it to both directions and then adjust the anchor point. And I don't really like that you can't move the whole path anymore from the inspector. It was really convenient way to move things precisely horizontally or vertically. I just wish there was an option to turn this off completely.

Feb 2, 2012 2:32 PM in response to cupique

I really can't get upset about this... The convenience of everything else out-weighs this minor gotcha. If worse comes to worse, group the object animated and correct its global position with the group positioning controls. The animation path will be completely "corrected" without having to deal with anchor points or more keyframing correction or editing.

Another way of global correction/repositioning is the keyframe editor (although not quite as accurate as using a group, you still can get about a 1/4 point accuracy): Move the object to the first keyframe (or whichever keyframe you need to use as the "guide"); command-option-click on the animated parameter (you don't even have to hilite the param in the list) and drag it (it will be all keys) to the new offset position [use the value in the keyframe param list as your indicator]. To get the approximate 1/4 point accuracy, zoom in all the way vertically.

HTH

Feb 18, 2015 3:16 AM in response to pepijnb

It's been 3 years since the first question about this issue, and now all the way in Motion 5.1.2 this annoyed "issue" still exists - Apple, PLEASE get rid of this from Motion, or at least create a toggle to turn it on or OFF. It is a massive frustration.

Being able to adjust the position of an object, but retain the key frames of its animation is the only way to work.

I recently upgraded to Yosemite and one of my biggest disappointments is that I can't run Motion 4 any more! Yes Motion 4. In my opinion Motion 4 was close to perfect - 5 was a step down, and this particular issue being top of the list why it's a step down.

Feb 18, 2015 3:36 AM in response to jonathanhowells

Hi,

I have to agree with you Jonathan, (except for the Motion 4 being near perfect). I know some people don;t see this as an issue at all, and I can see the advantages of it on occasion. However there is a very simple example to show why we just need a button that can toggle the feature on and off.

Say I've animated a block growing, it comes form nothing to full size and springs backwards and forwards in size as if it had momentum. Lovely. Now I realise I didn't quite make it big enough. I can't change the global size of the object. I have to change each keyframe. Yes I can put the object into a layer and change that, but that seems a fudge.

A

How to turn off automatic keyframing in motion 5.0.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.